A long time ago, there was a narrow half shelf
in the large open fixed-shelf area
where I have the purples, reds, and pinks.
DH and I had been talking about how to add
another shelf in that area but we hadn't resolved
how to make it look like it belonged
since there was NO way to come close
to the 40-year-old wood's coloring.
And then . . . DH suggested that we use two lengths
of coated wire shelving we removed from our closets.
PERFECT!
So good, in fact, we are going to use the same method
to add another shelf for the blues and one for the greens.
I told him that this was the best kind of birthday present -
something I can't do by myself and
that makes my life better every single day.
He just smiled.
Someone left a comment on Bloglovin and asked
to see what the interior of the resource boxes look like.
This is inside the yellow-orange box.
And this is inside the warm neutrals box.
This is the brights on black crumb box . . .
. . . and this is what that stack of fabrics looks like
when the box is removed.
There is a LOT of usable fabric in one little crumb box!
For those who asked what I did to use up the scraps
I cut using Bonnie's scrap system:
I made a lot of very scrappy comfort quilts.
Many were coins quilts like this one
that I sashed with less-than-loved fabrics.
Others were vertical strippy style quilts
made with 4", 5" and 6" width strips
sewn together end to end
in a decidedly liberated manner.
I made four double four patch quilts
to use up the 2.5" squares.
Two were gifted and two were donated.
I also made several vertical strippy quilts like this one
using 2.5" strips with a 2.5" square in between strip.
I had never heard of a jelly roll race quilt,
but that method reminds me of my comfort quilts
for the Alzheimer's Disease Study Council.
I used random size chunks to piece scrappy backs.
And I even managed to use up the less flamboyant
browns, rusts, and golds
to make masculine comfort quilts for ADSC
(they never had enough for the men)
* * *
Hopefully this answers most of the questions.
If not, ask away!
If you missed the first post that led
to these follow up posts, click here.
Part One? Click here
Part Two? Click here
(AND, if you need a little more eye candy,
click here to see DH's latest woodturning)
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?" Satchel Paige












14 comments:
I read with interest the link to your husbands passion. It's always good to see what the other half does. Thanks for the ideas in organizing and stash busting.
It's amazing what can be done with scraps and how far they actually go. That is the reason I am reluctant to throw any away. Besides, sometimes I like to play with scraps to make small items like pincushions, mini quilts, etc. Thanks for the little quilt show and fabric storage ideas.
I am just catching up on all these posts. Talk about beautiful organization! I like how you call those tubs “resource boxes”. I have made snapfish or Shutterfly books for trips but never thought of it for quilting, since my blog serves that purpose but I love the book idea and may try that!
Thank you for the idea's on those pre-cuts! Now, how about those 2" and 1 1/2" pre-cuts of squares and strips? You were probably too smart to cut those too like I did. LOL! There is another lady that repurposes fabric and she also uses new fabrics but she has a ton of scraps. She has come up with many free and very nice looking patterns to use up those scraps. She is Becky on Quiltedtwins.com in case you or anyone else is interested in some idea's to use these small bits of fabric and still make an attractive quilt. None of Becky's quilts look bad, all are very nice quilts that don't look scrappy even though they are.
Julie, that was so helpful seeing the inside of your boxes! Maybe I missed it in another post but I would really like to know the dimensions of the boxes—it looks like there are two different sizes?
Thanks—I loved these 3 posts. Such helpful ideas.
For pieces you were trying to use up, those quilts turned out amazing! I love the four patches and what you did with the strips. Love those yellow-orange fabrics, too. And what a lovely present from your hubby!
wow...what gorgeous scraps and what a neat storage area!
Super post Julie, I have read about Bonnie's scrap system but never followed up, perhaps it's time I had a visit.
Managing and organizing my stash is turning out to be more intensive and time-consuming than I had initially imagined. I have the "before". Looking at the "after" in your studio helps me stay on the path. I need to buy some (like a dozen) resource boxes.
Katie - go back and look in the middle of Follow Up Part 2 for this set of phrases (there are links embedded in the post so you can click to see the actual boxes) -- The larger pieces were folded (as neatly as possible) and placed into medium-size Iris storage boxes. (Ikea's Samla boxes and/orThe Container Store's clear storage boxes would also work)
Happy Birthday!! And those shelves look so great!! so organized!
I need to jump into my scraps. Your quilts help me think about moving in that direction.
You have a well-organized system. I do like using bits for the backs. And you're so right that there's a lot of fabric in those scrap bins.
Oh, such an encouraging post! I cannot believe how many quilts can be made from a small scrap bin. Once organized better, I'm more productive too. Good for you and thanks so much!
Post a Comment