The Spotted Winkel,
my AHIQ project for the
Playing With Scale challenge,
is now a flimsy.
This is the center portion of the quilt.
You may notice that the two red circles
have been edited out and replaced with string circles.
I loved the scrappy reds but they
read too much as a solid
in relation to all the other circles.
This is the upper left-hand corner.
You may notice that some of the circles are now smaller
than the previously-smallest 3" diameter circles.
I like the increase in variety of sizes.
This is the lower left-hand corner.
One of the removed red circles was cut down
(2.5" diameter)
and at that smaller size it works just fine.
This is the lower right-hand corner.
Another 2.5" circle was cut from the edited-out red
and used as a center for the four-part orange dotty circle.
I like it much more this way.
And this is the upper right-hand corner.
I slashed the large aqua circle and added a third
strip of the yellow spotted turquoise
so the two outer ones didn't look so odd.
To see previous posts for this quilt top,
please click on The Spotted Winkel label
that appears at the end of this post.
* * *
I'm elated to have this one off the design wall
and ready to be pin-basted.
It will wait in third position
of the three I hope to finish before July 1st.
I think I can . . . I think I can!
* * *
Edited note added later:
Quilt top measures 49" wide x 70" long.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
p.s. For those who want an autographed copy of BUILD A BARN,
my book's price has now been reduced to $15.00 plus shipping via USPS Priority padded mailer. Just leave a comment letting me know you're interested (be sure to include a way to contact you since Blogger's system is not working the way it used to).






14 comments:
This is such a lively quilt. I get excited every time I see it. Love the scale changes and the colors you chose. They work really well with the light backgrounds. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your process. Such a treat to understand why you made critical decisions.
Your quilts always make me smile. Full of color and surprises. Just happy!
Comment to trigger 'notify me' emails
I love it - it just looks so happy! And I think you nailed the working with scale challenge.
It really turned out nice. I like your creativity.
I love all the energy and variety in the circles.
The yellows are a great contrast too.
Super project, Julie!
I love the change to the stripped circles and looking forward to your quilting on this exciting quilt!
Fantastic, Julie, and all those tiny edits have worked beautifully. I like your attention to detail.
Fabulous, Julie! There is so much vitality and joy in this quilt. Love it!
Vibrant!
Love the finish! How big is it?
It is perfect!!!!!
I love this quilt. Can't wait to see you next month in St. Louis. Today I started picking fabric from my stash for my birds. I have quite a pile already. I am going to have to buy a plastic bin to transport it as I don't have an empty one big enough.
The Spotted Winkle is AMAZING! I love the pattern, the colors, and the liveliness it presents. I even love the name. I wish I could come up with super fun names.
Post a Comment