Monday, May 14, 2018

Thirteen Blocks



I have known about the 70273  Project for a long time now
and I've been meaning to make a few blocks 
but you know how those good intentions can be . . . 
other things come along and somehow I just
had not gotten around to making my blocks.

Now I have made thirteen of them
using thirteen different red fabrics
to represent thirteen unique individuals.




The 70273 Project is gathering 
70,273 blocks of fabric, each marked with 
two red crosses to commemorate the number of 
physically and mentally disabled 
men, women, and children who were murdered 
between January 1940 and August 1941 
in the Nazi's Aktion T4 Programme – 
a largely unrecognized atrocity.  

The two red crosses represent the marks made 
by the assessing Doctors as to whether the person 
was deemed ‘unfit’ or an economic burden on Nazi society. 

The "X" is such a simple symbol and, in this project, 
the simplicity with which someone 
could sign someone’s life away 
has been turned into a symbol of love and strength. 

The white fabric represents the medical records – 
the only information assessing physicians used 
in making their life-and-death determinations. 

Seeing the pairs of red crosses stitched together sends
a powerful message of tolerance, community and love. 

Its impact comes from the huge variety of red marks – 
each beautiful in their own perfectly imperfect way.




Some of you might remember this post
and my panel of scrappy white on white fabric
that appeared towards the post's ending.

I used the last of that panel for these blocks -
I found it especially fitting 
since each of us is so much more
than the sum of our individual parts -- 
the same isolated individual parts those doctors would 
have considered when reading their victims' medical records.

* * *

My blocks are now headed 
to Margaret in Arkansas
to be included in her 
'Family and Friends Far and Near' 
70273 Project quilt.

Margaret has pieced and quilted 
a number of 70273 blocks and quilts
and gets full credit for motivating me 
to finally get my blocks completed.

On my provenance form, 
I'll include the fact that my blocks are being donated 
in honor of our younger son and great-nephew, 
and in memory of many other family members
who would almost certainly have received 
two red X's on their medical charts.

* * *

For more information on the 70273 Project
please click HERE.  

To see images of completed and/or exhibited 70273 quilts
along with many other project related images
please click HERE.

And if you are so moved,
I hope you will make and donate
blocks in honor or memory of your own loved ones
or otherwise find a way to support the Project.


Quiltdivajulie


8 comments:

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Good for you! I've made a few quilts and it is such an important project. Thanks for being part of it!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Tough subject. People still possess those murderous attitudes, current laws keep them from becoming rampant, but look at Iceland and their Down's syndrome elimination and shudder.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

This is a powerful statement as well as a pure labor of love. Your heart is loving and giving one, I didn't know about this horrific atrocity until now, thank you for shining a light. Hugs~

Shelina said...

I've known about this project for a long time too and haven't gotten around to making any blocks yet. It amazes me that people could do such a thing, and it is very inspirational to see all these blocks and quilts come together. Your blocks with their different shades of red are so powerful.

Preeti said...

This is on my to-do list for this year. Thank you for the reminder. I am sure that if I went to see the exhibit I will end up in an ugly pile of tears and sobs.

Mystic Quilter said...

This is the first I have heard about this project, what an amazing and a very moving one. The atrocities you mention I am aware of, very much so sadly. Growing up in England the subject was covered in school curriculum and also of course was spoken about by returning troops and the horror was on everyone's lips and minds. You are a treasure to have made these blocks as your contribution to the project in honour of your son and great-nephew.

Louise said...

Beautiful blocks remembering an ugly history. May we never forget.

Jeanne Hewell-Chambers said...

Thank you, Julie, for commemorating 13 blocks so lovingly. Isn't Margaret Andrews a doll? This project has introduced (and re-introduced) me to so many good, kind people. ~ Jeanne Hewell-Chambers