Believe it or not,
there are twelve of Lynne's liberated birds
in this stack beside my sewing machine . . .
I'll be teaching a bird class in the Memphis area
in early August and I need some example blocks.
When I made Just Wing It,
the colors were chosen to go with
the 2015 Rainbow Scrap Challenge
color of the month.
When I made these birds,
anything in the scrap stash was fair game.
It took a few days to sort and select
twelve beak/body/wing combinations
but that was A-okay because
playing the scrap stash is a good thing.
Each of these birds has a set of
black and white striped legs.
There was, after all, a limit
on just HOW many choices/decisions
I wanted to make.
All of these birds
were created using Lynne's tutorial
and the notes I made
when I visited NH in 2014.
Not sure why this guy looks like
he was pieced on creams . . .
his background is white on white (WOW)
just like the rest.
This wing fabric came from someone else's scraps -
I am so glad I scooped it up.
This little bird is shorter and wider.
I've had both this bird's body and wing fabric
in my stash for eons.
SO happy to put them to good use here.
Lime green and orange with fuchsia . . .
nothing shy about this bird.
Number 12 in blue and green -
still one of my favorite color combinations.
And then,
because I could,
I sorted out all the leftover
WOW trimmings from Just Wing It
and these twelve birds.
One pair at a time,
I stitched the bits together.
Pair, stitch, press - repeat.
Again and again and again
until the WOW scrap box was emptied.
When I was finished,
I had this 40" x 24" slab of scrappy WOW fabric.
(shown here laying on my ironing table -
hence the striped print that shadows through)
I don't know if I'll be able to cut into this -
I may just save it and wait until my FMQ skills
improve enough to do some WOW dense fill stitching . . .
* * *
Linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
CLICK HERE to see the new color for July
(Hot Pink)
along with links to what the others are working on.
Quiltdivajulie
















21 comments:
What a happy flock of birds: the scrappy approach definitely suits them. As for the WOW, I wouldn't want to cut it up!
A great gathering of feathered friend you have there. If I was taking your class, I'd be mighty tempted to stash one away to come home with me ;-) I love your WOW scrap piece and could see it as the center "medallion" for another Gwen inspired piece......just sayin' :)
So happy to see some more birds - you're definitely pushing my INSPIRE button!
As always, I love your birds, but I really love that white slab of fabric! I never would have thought to do this. It would be perfect for a whole cloth medallion, maybe surrounded by some crumbs from the birds as a border? Just an idea. :) The birds are lovely, and the slab is a stroke of genius. Happy 4th!
I love those birds - especially those stripy legs!
That WOW would make a wonderful background for applique... 8)
What a wonderful flock of birds. I do like the striped legs. Have fun with the WOW made fabric. So many possibilities there.
The birds are so great! you are very creative!
I love your birds. I love the color/print combinations, the striped legs, all of it. Some day...
Your birds are just great! I have been following Lynne's blog since I first saw her birds, and they are definitely on my list to make.
Such a fun flock of birds! The striped legs are wonderful. So many possibilities for WOW fabric!
You can tell these birds are all related, they all inherited striped legs!! LOL! These are so much fun to look at!
Love, love, love your WOW slab! Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Those striped legs are perfect! Enjoy teaching the class and hope a wonderful flock are produced.
Your giant WOW Slab could be the PERFECT background for some fun applique project, too. Whatever you decide, I'm certain that it will be FABULOUS!!!
It's so much more fun to inspire somebody than to do something cool. I know how long you resisted buying WOWs.
Your birds are wonderful.
Lynne
Those birds are each like a jewel, except for the striped legs, but they are to add a giggle. Your WOW piece is so elegant it should become something special when the right time comes.
Your birds are adorable. I love things with striped legs - little kids in stockings, soft toys, and now birds!!!
Beautiful birds Julie and doesn't your WOW piece look wonderful! I should be a bit apprehensive about taking the rotary cutter to that beauty!
Beauitiful flock of birds.
These birds of a feather make an awesome flock together.
You've got some gorgeous birdies there. I couldn't pick a favorite, they are all fun.
Oh, I love them! I'm making some, one by one, and they are so much fun!
Post a Comment