Friday, January 5, 2018

Partly Sunny - Blocks and Beyond



Here are the first few blocks on the design wall.

Each HST finishes at 3" so these 4 blocks
when sewn together will be 48" wide.




And then there were a few more blocks on the wall.

With 24 different yellows and 24 different grays
there are a lot of subtle differences to explore.




And then all 20 blocks were on the wall.

The light in this photo is uneven - 
the top is lighter than it should be
and the bottom is too dark.
(of these three photos, the colors 
in the first one are the most accurate)



A few blocks were rearranged 
before the top was sewn together.

The light indoors was not great and 
the afternoon light outdoors wasn't much better.

This top is SO much more interesting in person.

The yellows and grays radiate 
and depending on where you stand
they alternate in dominance.





And here's a peek at the finished scrappy back.

Partly Sunny now shifts
from my 18 in '18 Piecing List 
to my 18 in '18 Quilting List.

This one WILL be done before year end.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"All life is an experiment. 
The more experiments you make the better."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, I love the tonal variations and movement. So much more interesting than the previous layout. So perky on a gray day.

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

These yellows are so bright and warming. Makes me think of sunny days to come.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have that same problem with the photography. Sometimes the camera has a mind of its own on how it wants to read the light. This is a good sign getting a project from one list onto the other this early in the year.

Mindy said...

So glad you changed your mind and went with the new layout. It's stunning!!

Louise said...

Ta da! I love the final layout!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Perfect! And, it really is a two sided quilt!

Mari said...

This turned out so pretty! So nice to see a sunny yellow in the middle of winter. Sometimes changing your mind is a great thing. I love the back, too. Nice work!

Chookyblue...... said...

I liked the first setting you did last post but this looks good too..........well done on getting it sewn together.........

Rebecca in AK said...

I really like this setting! I like the yellow and gray together, I would not have thought to use just those two colors. The backing is great too.


Mystic Quilter said...

Oh this is nice!! Beautiful backing you've put together and I'm looking forward to seeing it quilted sometime this year!

Kaja said...

Quick work! I like the way your yellows really seem to shine against the greys - it's very evocative for me.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I do love this setting! And that's alotta scrappy grey fabrics, wonderful!

swooze said...

Wow! Love that quilt!

Monica said...

Ok, yes, this is even better, with the interplay of the different yellow beside each other. It glows! And I love that yellow & grey floral on the back! You are zooming right along now. :D

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I think it radiates sunshine - I like it!

Lynette said...

Oh! Way to go!! Yellow and gray can be so pretty together, like this. And you even did the back already. :D

dq said...

I love love love love love this quilt! Congratulations!

Stitchedinlayers said...

I love this!