Wednesday, January 3, 2018

And Then I Changed My Mind



The longer this layout stayed on my design wall
the more sure I was that it would not be sewn together
in this simple but somewhat boring arrangement.




After I decided on a new approach,
 I started at the top left corner of the design wall
 and took down adjacent groups of sixteen HSTs,
sorting them onto 20 different plates.

4 blocks wide by 5 blocks long
will give me a 48" x 60" top. 




All of the leftover HSTs and strip ends 
were sewn together and will be used 
for this wonderful scrappy back.




Here's a detail of the two fabrics in the outer columns
as well as the first set of binding
made with my Franklin Quilting Company

I will definitely use the tool again (and again).

* * *

Four of the 20 blocks are sewn together -
here's to piecing the remaining sixteen
and turning that hodge-podge on the design wall
into a coherent scrappy back.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"When the winds of change blow, some people build walls and others build windmills."
Chinese Proverb

14 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

I really like your fabrics so I liked your first layout but I am sure your final choice is going to be outstanding. Your backing is coming along well too. Thanks for sharing.

Cathy said...

Well, I liked the boring layout! But you know I love the Depression Block layout!
I'm going to try to be like you this year and get those backings ready when I get the top finished. I really don't like piecing backings.

Robby said...

I am also a big fan of the fabrics you chose and liked that first layout. I do think your new iteration will be even more striking, which may mean you'll have a great two-sided quilt with that amazing back.

Louise said...

Yellow and gray is in the air! Yours is among several lovely designs in those colors flitting through my feed. Love the scrappy back!

Preeti said...

Sometimes the blocks just have to simmer a bit before a final layout can be achieved. I am sure that whatever you do, it will be lovely, The back is such a pop of energy with that bright green.

Monica said...

Well, that is interesting that you changed your mind about this, Julie. I did like the repetition of the simple layout. But I can see that your new layout will have more movement and drama. It's interesting where our muses take us, isn't it?

Ann said...

I like the subtle and strong horizontal stripes from edge through center. Clever idea.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Well, I liked it in the first picture, but as usual, you ere right and it now is even better! I think I like the back as much as the front!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Wow.....what a turnaround! Of course I loved it before, and it is even better now. I LOVE that back......hmmmm.

Millie said...

I liked the rhythm of the first "somewhat boring" design. I liked the way the various yellows and greys "flickered" in the sunlight.

Kaja said...

I too liked the original layout, but am excited to see lots of the new version all together. I like that you make the back and the front at the same time; I should take that leaf out of your book.

Kyle said...

You have to go where the wind blows. No right or wrong just where you happen to be at the time.

Janie said...

You're having fun with design aren't you?
Great back and I see Pooh Bear and friends.
Your quilt will bring comfort and coziness to someone.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

All part of the creative process... no right or wrong, just choices. Nice plan for the scrappy back!