Indoor photo of WORDS TO LIVE BY
50" wide x 63" long
(photo should supersize if double clicked)
I think I auditioned at least ten different fabrics
for the vertical sashing strips before
discovering this leftover backing
in one of my resource boxes.
I love how the deep darkness
sets off the brighter colors in the charms
and lets the words become the stars.
I used two different Moda Bella solids for the words
so that they would offer yet another layer of interest
and a subtle sense of repetition with their placement.
I'm delighted with the result!
Next step will be to design and piece
the scrappy back with more words/phrases.
Hope to have it ready to share next week.
Thanks to Ann and Kaja
for a thought-provoking AHIQ challenge.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"You have asked for and been given enough words -
it is now time to live them."
Meher Baba





18 comments:
Fantastic quilt top!! I love how you used words by stamping them, a very creative mix of techniques. And the words you chose are fabulous :)
Just a super cool solution to your challenge. I love your long strips and the different fabric colors for the words. A lot of fun to look at.
I love it!
It's awesome Julie. Have always loved words on quilts. Great sashing fabric.
What an inspiration! Thank you.
A wonderful top, Julie. I love the way you used your fabric: light solids for the stamping, bright prints between and the dark spotty print for sashing. It all works together so well. Your words came out well; great mix of lower and upper case. You unaligned them beautifully - enough so we're certain that was your intent and not too much to look crazy.
What ink did you use? Heat set?
This is such an insightful quilt to link with AHIQ. Thanks for sharing it on your blog and through the link.
You are right...that was the perfect sashing fabric to tie it all together. I often have problems with getting the sashing right so often avoid adding it. The stamped fabric is wonderful. Would you use that technique again?
Words to live (and create by) indeed!
I've done a little bit of stamping, but never with fabric inks. Really MUST give that a try!
Simply fabulous!
This just makes me smile! The words are a wonderful touch and your sashing was a masterful touch. So funny the fabrics that make everything else just shine!
Wonderful, I really love your sashing choice! Thanks for linking up your progress with this quilt to 'sew stitch snap SHARE'
I think this is just fabulous!
You are right, that is the perfect sashing: slightly unexpected and with its own personality, but not detracting at all from the pieced columns.
Ohhh, I love that sashing fabric, I you stumble on a selvage with any info, I'd sure appreciate any info you have, it reminds me of city lights at night. Now that that's out of the way :) This is a delightful quilt, I love all the Kaffe prints, it's almost an album quilt in that respect. I should make a word quilt for myself, I can see the benefits: I'd wake up each day, look at my quilt and pick a word to keep me in a good frame of mind. When I'd hit a rough spot, I'd think back to my word of the day to help keep an even keel. Instead of losing patience with a difficult person, I'd take a deep breath and meditate on that word for a few seconds, smile at that difficult person and work out a solution to keep us both happy.
Very cool, almost like Kaffe's seed quilt. love the words.
I love this! I may borrow your idea -- I have several sets of letter stamps.
Super cute! Well sewn!
That is a cool quilt !
You should be so proud. It is a gorgeous and a meaningful quilt.
Post a Comment