Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Words on Quilts - AHIQ Challenge



Ann of Fret Not Yourself shared this quarter's
Ad-Hoc Improv Quilter's ("AHIQ") 
challenge in THIS POST.

I've done a lot of quilts with free-pieced words
and I wanted to try something different this time.

But what?

I spent a lot of time browsing photos of quilts online
as part of my contemplation process.

When I chanced upon the quilt shown above
I knew I was onto something.

(the quilt was a previously sold item from Etsy 
without any information on the maker)




A while back I shared this photo of the starting point
for this quarter's AHIQ challenge quilt,
so I was looking for an inspiration quilt
that was somehow related 
to the KF charms I have in abundance.




Last week, I finally found time to sit down
and start stamping using Kaja's tutorial.

The ink is meant for fabric use and once heat set
is washable in cold water.

I tested a couple of words and it seems that will hold true.




I also played around a bit with the positions
where I would insert the words
in order to create quilt top in the 48" x 60" range.




In these photos,
I've grouped the stamped words into sets of four.




All of the words relate to me as a quilt maker.




Some describe my attitudes.




Others describe my preferences.




As I was stamping words,
I decided to change the plan for the quilt's scrappy back.

The blues shown in the earlier photo
fell out of favor in lieu of these purples.

Time will tell if this group makes the final cut.




More stamped words.




I actually scrolled back through blog posts
looking for words that appeared frequently.

"Listen to your quilts" prompted the word LISTEN.




And my gestation notebooks
prompted the word Gestation.




reminded me to include PLAY in the collection.




It took several hours to stamp all the words.

But it was a day when I was physically tired
after being sick so sitting and stamping was perfect.

And, in the midst of stamping, the quilt named itself:

WORDS TO LIVE BY




There are now forty stamped words for the quilt's top.

I stamped a few more to include on the back,
but before I worry about that step in the process
I want to get the top sewn together.

Stay tuned!


* * *

Linking up with Ann and Kaja 
for this month's AHIQ gathering.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Creating art is an affirmation of the 
conscious nature of our existence."
Ian Semple

12 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

I have alphabet stamps. I have fabric ink. Hmmm.

Pamela Arbour said...

I love that idea. I am not much for stamping on fabric, but I am wanting to try this. Can't wait to see your finish.

patty a. said...

I added my link to Ann and Kaja's blogs. I hadn't started a quilt with words, but feed sacks with words on them came into my life. I am currently getting it quilted and it also fits in with the idea of it being a utility quilt and improv pieced. I think your stamped words are fabulous! This will be a quilt that has a lot of meaning to you.

gayle said...

I'm really looking forward to this one! That happy confetti of bright Kaffe colors mixed with words to live by - what a celebration it will be!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

What fun and super creative! Can't wait to see the outcome.

Robin said...

Wow! You've been busy stamping. I love reading all the words that describe you as a quilter and quilting in general. It's going to be a pretty quilt as well with all the bright charms. Who would have ever thought that Kaffe Fassett charms could become an accent instead of the main focus of the quilt? I think it's going to be great!

Shelina said...

Wow these words are wonderful. I have letter stamps. Now you've got another project on my list of quilts to make!

audrey said...

Your inspiration quilt is wonderful! I like where you're going with this challenge. I can see that your words are very personal and have lots of meaning to you!

Ann said...

This is so exciting. I'm glad you found some stamps. I'd tried to find Kaja's set but no luck on this side of the ocean. Good point about the ink.
Reading your process for finding words is making me think. I've been upset about the world lately. Don't need to regurgitate platitudes but do need to think about words I choose to live by and what needs to change in my life.
As usual, beautiful fabrics. Stunning frame for your words. Thanks for linking another thought-provoking post with AHIQ.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

WOW......that is my go to word for amazing quilt idea that i want to steal! LOL

Kaja said...

Fantastic idea! I like that it is so personal and am very taken with the idea of words to live by. I also like the inspiration a lot. The way you have pulled all the elements together is, as Ann says, really exciting.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I like your name for this quilt. And the combo of Kaffe colour & the words will be exciting! I love your inspiration quilt too! Thanks for sharing with 'sew stitch snap SHARE'