Saturday, May 27, 2017

Sashings and Block 12-1/2 for Dumpster Diving 2.0




Even before finishing the blocks,
I started playing with sashing ideas.

The first test was a group of 2.5" strips
left over from a gifted jelly roll
of Modern Background-Ink fabrics.

Not at all what I was looking for.

(if you want to get caught up on the
evolution of this project,
just scroll back through the last week's posts)




In keeping with the eclectic mix of fabrics in the blocks,
I pulled a sampling of low key neutrals from the stash.

While I like the mix, it did nothing for the quilt blocks.




I also did a fabric pull from the black and white stash
focusing on stripes, checks, and a few dots.

I really like this combination
but they just weren't right for the blocks on the wall.




And then I remembered these 2.5" strips of
Newpaper Collage by Carrie Bloomston
(purchased in 2014 during 
my visit to Quilted Threads with Lynne)




Oh, yes -  THIS is what I was looking for!




However the sashing choice confirmed 
my uncertainty about the background 
on this particular block.

Time for some unstitching action.




MUCH better!




Here is the revised plan on the design wall.


I can't wait to get this top sewn together!\

* * *

Linking this scrappy quilt-in-the-making
with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

CLICK HERE to see what
the other RSC'ers are sharing this week.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Color in a picture is like enthusiasm in life." 
Vincent van Gogh

28 comments:

Cherie in St Louis said...

Once again, I love your quote! The fabric strips on your design wall are like a waterfall of color :). I do like your final sashing choice and how fun to have a reminder of Lynne in your quilt!!

Pamela Arbour said...

Thanks for sharing your sashing process. I really liked the black, but your final choice is outstanding.

Linda Swanekamp said...

The sashing is perfect now. I love when you share the process. When I can't find something that works, I get angry with myself- not a good personality trait. I feel like I am wasting time and fabric by searching for the right fabric- which is not true. I think I will take pictures of the process to diffuse the emotions and look at it like I am looking at yours.

Barb said...

I love love the strips when I saw that photo...I thought wow...that is it.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Thanks for sharing your design process - I really like your final sashing choice. I think it's the combination of light value and bright cheerful color that works so well.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Perfect color and pattern for the sashing strips!

Louise said...

Yeah! I'm always loathe to unpick a block completely, but it was the right choice on the yellow background.

Magpie Sue said...

You've got another winner on the wall there Julie!

Cathy said...

Symphony of Color! That's what I see in this gorgeous masterpiece. And if it is also Dumpster Diving, then so be it! BTW! The sashing is beyond perfect!

Deb A said...

So neat to see how you arrived at the top. It reminds me that sometimes you do need to unstitch and fix something to make it 'happy'. Great quilt and solution.

Diane said...

Your persistence paid off! I love the sashing you chose.

Kyle said...

Your quilt is a perfect example why a stash is important to have around!

Nell's Quilts said...

Your journey to the perfect finish is so informative. Love the final choice.

Elaine M said...

Great post, interesting seeing the choices you made. Love what's up on the wall. Have a great weekend.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a great decision... I like following along with how you decided to use where !

Janie said...

Looking good, fun with color!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Wonderful choice! Great that you had enough in your stash for the sashing too.

Katie Z. said...

Ooh la la! What a great choice!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That sashing is definitely the best choice! Thanks for the opportunity to see everything you tried. I really like the bright colors and contrast you're using in these blocks!

Kevin the Quilter said...

Simply delicious...........I mean, that's all I can say as my mouth is watering looking at your chosen sashing and blocks.........DELICIOUS!

Cathy Tomm said...

Love to see what you might have used but then the plan changed. Yes the Yellow Newspaper works. I am not sure I would have ever tried yellow but this gives it a nice light feeling but is not too bright. Maybe my yellow stash is too bright. I think it can take over quickly. Great !

Millie said...

Awesome!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Stunner of a quilt, love the sashing you decided to go with.

Kaja said...

I've really enjoyed watching these blocks pop up on instagram and love your sashing choice; it's spot on. I would also like to see a quilt made from that pile of low key binding options - they sit beautifully together.

Monica said...

Yes, that yellow is excellent! What a gorgeous fabric. :D

Ann said...

I used that fabric as the side f a lobster boat. It looked like boards when cut up. What a versatile print. It's perfect here, too. Thanks for sharing your process. Enjoy the weekend.

scraphappy said...

What a fun sashing strip. It makes such a great and happy quilt.

Sharon said...

Great sashing choice - I don't know that I would have considered yellow, but it's perfect. I love that fabric line....I must use it in something. Thanks for letting us "sit in" on your auditioning process!