Wednesday, May 10, 2017

A Long-Awaited Project



These are the last of the dress shirts to be taken apart.





Over the last few months, 
I've slowly taken apart quite a few dress shirts.

Some came from elder son's closet
as part of the preparations
before Mr. Marvelous arrived.




Others, like this group, were given to me
by another quilt maker who had already used
the backs for a project of her own
but didn't want the fronts/sleeves.




For the last few months,
we've slowly been culling DH's closet
in anticipation of a major change.




DH celebrated his 65th birthday last week
and recently announced his retirement date.




His last day in the office will be early June with
his final day of employment in early August.




So what is a quilt-making wife to do?




Help DH celebrate 
this long-awaited milestone
by making him a shirtings quilt 
named RETIRED! 


* * *




Linking up with Julie's and Linda's 



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"There are many spokes on the wheel of life. 
First, we're here to explore new possibilities."
Ray Charles

21 comments:

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

That is a ton of shirts! I can't wait to see what you do with them. I have seen a few quilts using shirting but have not tried it myself. Are all the shirts cotton or a mix? Enjoy! mary in Az

Linda Swanekamp said...

I have never tried sewing with shirting. My husbands shirts are mostly solids, a few pinstripes and he will be retiring hopefully before his 64th birthday, New Years Eve.

smazoochie said...

That is a lot of shirts! And a palette different from your usual -- I am eager to see what you make!

Raewyn said...

I"m looking forward to seeing what you do with these!

Ann said...

Great name. I'm trying to collect shirts from my sons as my husband's are very quiet. It will be great fun to see what you're making. Congratulations on DH's upcoming retirement.

LethargicLass said...

Looking forward to seeing it!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Can't WAIT to see how this one comes together!!

Mari said...

Congratulations! August is not far away at all. Any big retirement plans? Can't wait to see this quilt!

Julie said...

It's actually a big job getting shirts ready to quilt. I made my son a shirt quilt a couple of years ago.
Thanks for linking up to Sew, Stitch, Snap, Share.

Leeanne said...

That's many many shirts......much like my unused pile! Have fun creating!

Angie said...

Can't wait to see what you do!

Vicki W said...

What a great idea and I know it will be a fantastic quilt!

Kyle said...

What a great gift for your DH. It will be fun to see what you do. Now your husband can fill his closet with a more casual look.

Kevin the Quilter said...

Many congrats to your husband for this milestone. And, I can't wait to see the work of art you make with these shirtings!

Mystic Quilter said...

An excellent idea Julie, you have a great selection of shirting there.

Louise said...

I love shirt quilts! This one will be marvelous :)

Kaja said...

Yay! I can't wait to see what you do with these.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Woohoo! I can't wait to see the result!

audrey said...

This will be such a wonderful quilt! Love this idea so much.:)

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Congrats in the retirement! Frank SAYS he will retire in a year, we shall see. Can't wait to see what you have in store for those shirts!

Nifty Quilts said...

What a yummy bunch of shirts! Congratulations on reaching that milestone. What fun you'll have together! The quilt will be wonderful, I'm sure. And you'll have plenty more shirt scraps for more great quilts.