Saturday, February 18, 2017

Jibberish - The Quilt



My Stroop Effect effort started in January 2015
as one of that year's 
Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects.

(there's a link in the linked post
for information on the stroop effect)




I made words and blocks for three months
but then the project was shelved
while other things took priority.

(i.e., writing BUILD A BARN) 




Fast forward to August/September 2016.

After finishing the rest of the
color words and strata blocks, 
I was finally able to test my 2015 layout.

You can read about that by clicking here.





By the end of October 2016,
most of the strata blocks 
were used to create this 
16" x 20" table mat . . .




. . . and the letter blocks had become
this quilt top known as Jibberish.




After way too much internal debate 
over possible quilting designs,
Max and I quilted Jibberish using
Hobbs 80/20 batting, Glide thread,
and liberated diagonal crosshatching.




31" wide x 39" long

(double click to supersize the photos)




Scrappy black and white binding




* * *

Linking up with The Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

to see what the others are sharing this week.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Let's work hard, but take the pressure off ourselves and have some fun with the process. Otherwise, what is the point?"
(Gaye Adams)

21 comments:

Ariane said...

Yeah for a finish!! This quilt is adorable!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Are those daffodils from now?? I have frozen ground and melting snow and probably won't see a daffodil until April. By the way, I use Hobbs 80/20, Glide and I use Omni or PremoSoft in the bobbin. What a journey that quilt has been on to completion!

Ann said...

Congratulations on a fun quilt. We used such similar quilting this time. Ha.
Your string blocks appear three dimensional to me. Lovely effect.

Louise said...

Yahoo!! It looks great! Congrats on such fun finish :)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That quilt has had an interesting "growing up" period. Many roads to travel to a final finish.

Sheila said...

Your quilts are just awesome!

LA Paylor said...

such a good balance. The simplicity of staying to a block size, while playing with color and words makes them stand out. You have such a way with color and design.

Cherie in St Louis said...

Guess my daffodils will be blooming shortly :-). I like the organic quilting you and Max decided on. Great quilt, finally ;-)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Jibberish is so much fun! I love how it surprises us when we look at it, trying to get words out of it!

Millie said...

Daffodils? You have daffodils blooming? My house is surrounded by about 30 inches of The White Stuff. Today though, the sun is out and it is melting, thank goodness.

Jibberish is the PERFECT name for this quilt!

PaulaB quilts said...

Thanks so much for showing the jonquils, my first glimpse of spring. The Jibberish quilt certainly lives up to its name, wild!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on getting Jibberish done. Apparently, I read that language, as I picked out the words with no problem. :o))

Cathy Tomm said...

Wow love it so cute and bright.

gayle said...

I love Jibberish!

Kyle said...

What a journey and transformation this quilt has had. I'm glad you followed the path to the end.

Mystic Quilter said...

I do love all the colour in the quilts Julie, and the liberated cross hatching is just the thing here.

Kaja said...

It was quite a journey, but I really like where you ended up and, as always, you have the best quilt names.

Mari said...

This looks so great! It turned out perfect. The liberated cross hatching suits it so well, too.

Pip said...

Yay for a finish. At first, I was trying to work out what the words were on the Jibberish quilt and then I read a bit further :)

claudia said...

My first thought...How do you have daffodils??? They are beautiful!
I love, love, love your gibberish quilt!

Kate said...

A very fun and bright finish! Love the name, it's perfect.