Friday, February 3, 2017

D is For . . .

The hot pink and the colorful ovals on white are
the 2017 required/provided challenge fat quarters


For the past several years the group that 
organizes the big local quilt show
has issued an open challenge to local quilters
to design/make a quilt using  their choice of fabrics 
along with two provided fat quarters.

I seriously thought about participating
the year they did "Log Cabin in the Woods"
but working full time just got in the way.

Same thing happened all the other years.

This year the challenge really caught my attention.

"D is For . . . "

And I was in!

Be sure to supersize the photos for additional detail


Having recently finished Moments in Time,
I knew instantly that I wanted to use 
the Quilty 365 approach for my challenge quilt.

I quickly contacted five far-flung friends
in order to gather 36  unique 
"D-themed fabric" circles.

Many thanks to 
and Cherie M.

Oh what fun it was to open their squishy envelopes!

In the end,
I couldn't decide among the six 
different dog fabrics they shared
so I cut a circle from each one.

Together the six circles will make 
the back of this 36" x 36" quilt
so much more fun.


Photo will supersize if double-clicked


Row 1 - Dragon, Drama Queen, Dinosaur, 
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Diamonds, and Diner

Row 2 - Deli, RainDROPS, Dress, Drink, 
Doctor, and Dragon
(I just couldn't decide between the two
so they both made the cut)

Row 3 - Dominoes, Dress-up Diva, Directions,
Darkness, Dragonflies, and Deer

Row 4 - Dump Trucks with Dirt, Daffodil, 
John DEERE, Dictionary, Dolls, and Dates

Row 5 - Dimes, Drum, Dance, Drawings, 
De_____, and Dollars

Row 6 - Dice, Daisies, Dots, Dory,
Daleks from Dr. Who, and Duck

Back - 2 different styles of Dauschunds, 
Dalmations, a special Scottie, 
and a group of brown dogs.

Now my challenge will be to get this 
quilted, bound, labeled, and sleeved
in time to share it at the late-February
 local quilter's potluck/sew-day.

* * *

Here's hoping there are at least eight
qualifying challenge quilts come November
so that we can enter them into 
the AQS Ultimate Guild Challenge
for next year's Grand Rapids QuiltWeek.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.

(Phyllis Diller)

21 comments:

audrey said...

This makes me smile! All the D fabrics are so much fun and the green is very springy!

Quilting Babcia said...

Super D-licious challenge met!

Linda Swanekamp said...

What a super fun quilt! Love the way you did the border- the orientation of the fabric!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hope you and Max have FUN with the quilting!!

Louise said...

How perfect for a quiltDiva like yourself! An all-D I-spy! Or is that a D-spy? :)

Gina said...

Fabulous idea. I love the quilt that came from it xx

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is really a challenge to come up with that many D fabrics.

Judy in Michigan said...

Super idea!!! I'm thinking of doing one for our Greatgrandson...M is for...

Terri said...

Love the challenge quilt. Love that your circles are backed by greens. Good job, a fun "I Spy".
Hugs

Mystic Quilter said...

You've done brilliantly to get that collection of D fabrics together - a very interesting challenge idea.

Ann said...

Beautiful top. Love both the theme and your greens.

Janie said...

Fun and d-lightful!

Shelina said...

What a darling quilt! Great use of d fabrics and the circles.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is fantastic!! and what a great story!

Teresa said...

Looks like a lot of fun. I tried to guess what "D" was in the circle before I read your list.

Pip said...

That sure is a lot of "D" fabrics, love all the dog ones, nothing like a deadline to push you along to finish something, I'm sure it will be done in time.

Kaja said...

Great response to the challenge! I like that you have used the Quilty 365 idea as a starting point, love all those D fabrics.

LA Paylor said...

it's so clever. I love doing challenges, and yours is inventive. Plus I like a circle!

Judy in Michigan said...

Julie, did you keep the squares at 4.5" cut and the circles around 3.5" cut and fused?? Thanks.

LynneP said...

D is for Dots-giant dots instead of circles.
Glad Mr Wonderful is feeling better!

Magpie Sue said...

I know this was fun to make - and how fun it is to look at! I hope the quilting goes well for you and Max. :-)