Monday, August 8, 2016

The Crosscut QAL - And Grand News

Photo by Sujata Shah

A few weeks back,
Sujata shared this photo
from her teaching trip to Ann Arbor.

Not long after that,
Debbie from A Quilter's Table
announced her week-long 
Crosscut QAL on Instagram.

One + One = Inspiration!




This is my finished quilt.

An Elephant for Darcy
measures 30" square.

I chose to leave my large blocks uncut
in order to use them to frame 
the center block's machine appliquéd elephant.

(NOTE:  This is NOT a political quilt!) 




After far too much dithering,
Max and I quilted this using Glide thread and
a scrap piece of Tuscany wool/cotton blend batting.

(Max is my APQS George sit down long arm)

The quilting features lots of long curving lines
that cross over each other randomly.




Here's a look at another of the crosscut blocks.




I used the very last of the 
tossed elephant print for the backing.


All photos will supersize if double-clicked


So what am I going to do with this fun little quilt?

The name might have given it away . . .




. . . but if not, 
here is photographic evidence 
of the quilt in action.

This is Darcy (our grand-dog) and her 
beloved pink Kong elephant posing atop her 
quilt-covered zebra-striped burrow bed.

Darcy spent a long weekend at Camp Sefton
while her people were busy at the hospital.

Why?



Our grandson
 was born just after midnight
last Thursday (August 4).

(3 lbs. 6 ozs. and 17" long)

He will stay in NICU for a while
since he was born nearly 7 weeks early.

So far he is doing well
and so are his parents.



* * *


To see process photos for Darcy's quilt,
visit my Instagram feed
by clicking HERE.

(there's also a link to my IG in the sidebar)

To see lots of photos by the others,
click HERE to visit 
the QAL's IG feed.




Quiltdivajulie

20 comments:

Cherie in St Louis said...

Nothing like burying the lead!! I hope despite his early arrival, Connor is doing well. My thoughts and prayers are certainly with the new family. Congratulations!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Congratulations to you and your husband on becoming grandparents!!

Sujata Shah said...

Wow! Congratulations to you and your family Julie! Such a wonderful news to hear this morning. So happy for all of you. Hugs and kisses to little Connor!

Sujata Shah said...

Wow! Congratulations to you and your family Julie! Such a wonderful news to hear this morning. So happy for all of you. Hugs and kisses to little Connor!

gayle said...

Congratulations, hugs, and best wishes!

Havplenty said...

Congrats to the parents and grandparents. The NICU teams are fabulous and take such patient care of the babies. They will get Connor on his way soon enough. I have some of the elephant print also. Not sure where I got it though. Love the mini.

tushay3 (at) yahoo (dot) com

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Congratulations on the birth of Connor and sending lots of positive thoughts for his time in the NICU. Darcy looks very comfortable on her very own quilt! I loved your inspiration for this elephant mini!

Debbie said...

Love all the connections made with this little quilt. And congrats on your grandson! Trust he continues to thrive and is home with you all soon!

Kaja said...

Congratulations to all of you on Connor's arrival, albeit a bit early. NICU's are brilliant places so hopefully Connor will be home without too much delay. My second son was born 8 weeks ahead of time, spent about a month in hospital but is now a strapping 26 year old.

Mari said...

Congratulations Grandma! Hope little Connor is prospering. (I thought the new quilt--which is lovely--was for him!)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Prayers for Connor and all of the family; congratulations!! Darcy is adorable on her new quilt. Sending love and big hugs~

Millie said...

Congratulations Grandma and best wishes to your son, DIL & little Connor.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh congratulations to proud grandparents and parents!! Hope Connor makes up his weight soon and then he'll be home. I'm guessing you made the wonderful Cross Cut quilt for Darcy so he wouldn't feel left out when baby comes home with new quilts.

Barb said...

great quilt and nice quilting~

Teresa in Music City said...

Congratulations!!!! So glad all are doing well - that's a scary time when they come early like that. Will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers :*). Talk about coincidence! I had just found the Crosscut QAL on Instagram and decided that I just HAD to make one, and lo and behold you are showing yours on your blog! I think it's meant to be :*). I love how you made yours with the elephant block in the middle - so simple and perfect!

Pam said...

Love your elephant quilt. i am happy for you that you are a new grandma.

June D said...

Congratulations. Sending good thoughts.

Judy in Michigan said...

So happy for you and all the Seftons...you will love being a Grandma...and Connor will have so many lovely quilts. He is a very lucky boy!! Congratulations!! Enjoy!!

{Geo}Holly said...

Oh wow, so happy for you, Grandma :-) Such a wee precious little thing.

Debbie said...

Can I share a photo from this post in an upcoming blog post of my own??