Time to take a deep breath,
gather my thoughts,
and do a bit of re-grouping.
It is back-to-school season
and that means my own internal clock
is eager to be re-set.
January 1st just doesn't do it for me
but school busses on the road
and classroom supplies on store shelves
trigger this process every year.
* * *
There are too many projects underway
in my studio -- which means there are
too many different voices nagging at me.
Here are some of the noisiest ones:
* Keeping up with my ongoing RSC projects
(there are five right now - although
I will pass on this month's colors
for all but 1 or maybe 2 of them)
* The Old MacDonald Mystery Sampler
with Sophie from Block Lotto
(need to pull out the colors for this month
and get the split nine patch blocks pieced)
* Star Light Star Dark QAL
(a play-on-the-floor quilt for Master Blueberry -
next link up is Aug 15-Sept 1)
* Gwen-Inspired Medallion QAL
(my Scrap Happens project -
next link up is Sept 1)
* quilting my project from the Crosscut QAL
(photos have been shared on IG -
reveal post hopefully next week)
* quilting Wilkkomen for Eamon
(my sister's fourth grand baby is due in October -
need to decide on a quilting design)
* finishing two large WIPs for QOV
(Wind Farm and Modern Bento Boxes)
* finishing The Stroop Effect
(RSC 2015 project that is ready to be
laid out and assembled)
and on and on and on . . .
(Note: some of the lists from the sidebar
have been moved to new pages -
check the tabs below the header)
* * *
The bottom line for now is
that for the next few weeks
I need to focus on
finishing some things,
re-establishing my studio priorities,
and preparing for the next few months.
Quiltdivajulie

18 comments:
I am a bit overwhelmed by all the quilt projects I have going. Hard to know which to do when. And so many ideas careening around in my head.
You have so perfectly detailed that quandary we find ourselves facing every so often. I have said many times that I made my best progress on something in the 2-3 weeks before going back to school each fall (I taught HS English for 30 years). I look forward to seeing how you handle those noisy UFOs. ;)
I'm in the overwhelmed situation with all my projects too.It is a great time to regroup and reassess projects.
This time of year always feels like a beginning to me, too! I'm a retired teacher going into only my second year of not going back to school, and there are many things that still trigger that beginning of the year feeling for me. A great time to reorganize and think about what needs to be done! I enjoyed your post!
Sorry to hear that those projects are giving you flack. Good luck with regaining some semblance of order in the classroom... er... studio!!
I believe most of us - those who have or have had kids or who have been (or been married to) schoolteachers - feel the same sort of New Beginnings feeling this time of year. I would add that as autumn approaches, the nesting instinct kicks in as well. Like you, I am focusing on finishing up other projects in August. Here's to a productive month!!
Good luck with your plans to have several quilts finished this month. Have a great weekend!
I'm finally at the point where my UFO list doesn't overwhelm me, but I'm in danger of contemplating too many new projects for the beginning of the school year!
I am exhausted just reading this! But, you seem to be the type of person that can GIT'R'DONE!
That's a lot of projects! No time to get bored with any of them. I already have a plan to get my school supplies next week. New pencils and paper can be very invigorating!
It's good to take stock of things as you've done. It keeps us from taking on more when we should be limiting ourselves. You will have some excellent finishes when you can concentrate on them. Good luck!
I've been reexamining and reprioritizing my quilting and other things to do too. It is good to do that from time to time to make sure we are on the path we want to be on. I agree that this time of year is more motivating for me also.
I too, am a teacher. The start of the year will always be September for me. Summer time is when I get a good itch to my quilting bug. I've finished many small new projects in the past weeks and just finished the first of the craft shows for the season. I am pleased two of the newest pieces sold--so I know they catch others' eye. Just ordered the Build a Barn book and can't wait to study it. We have a gorgeous old huge barn that is my sanctuary.
I got tired just *reading* your list... Good luck! 8)
I always have an overwhelming urge to buy lots of pencils and pens and paper at this time of year, even though my last kidlet graduated from college years ago. Once a school-supplier, always a school-supplier!
That's quite a list. Good luck getting a handle on things. Back to school means a little more structure at my house. I love summer but I'm looking forward to the routine of the school year.
I find that setting goals helps me...what I'm going to do when I get home from work, what I'm going to do by the end of the week, what I'm going to do this month...and so on! I really don't worry about finishing anything since I usually only have self-imposed deadlines but eventually things do get finished. Good luck to you on all of your projects.
That all sounds a bit overwhelming! Good luck on getting some projects finished and clearing your head a bit. Still love that red swing, by the way.
Love the description of "nagging voices". It happens to many of us.
Post a Comment