Thursday, June 30, 2016

My Scrappy Table Runner

 


Anyone who knows me well knows that I'm pretty organized
but I'm also very impatient when it comes to learning new things.

I want to leap in and swim the distance
instead of practicing the dog paddle in the kiddie pool.




When I decided on cross hatching for the table runner,
I waited just long enough for my new rulers to arrive
and then I dove in head first.

No practice samples were used . . .
just a scrap of Hobbs 80/20 batting
and my new cone of purple Glide thread.




I am quite very pleased with the results.

Max and I had some issues with bobbin thread breaks,
but walking away for a couple of hours,
unthreading and re-threading the machine,
and switching to a different bobbin solved the problem.




Here's a look at all 36" of the runner.

Yes!

* * *



Now about that practicing part . . .

I have joined the 
Sit Down Free Motion Quilting group on Facebook,
and signed up for three online classes.
(two with Christina Carmeli and one with Bethanne Nemesh)

My goal is to doodle at least 15-20 minutes a day
following Lori Kennedy's doodle tutes
AND 
the motifs that are part of the FB stitch sampler.
(most of the FB group is on lesson 4
and I've not even started on lesson 1)

I've watched the intro sessions
for all three of the online classes,
but the rest must now sit and wait 
until I work my way through the doodling
and stitch sample exercises.

I need to give myself time to find my own style
and build some usable muscle memory.

I also need to remember that just like my scrappy quilts,
working a little along DOES add up!


Quiltdivajulie

9 comments:

Elaine M said...

Beautiful runner, and great colors and quilting. I'm with you on being impatient, I can picture what I want in my mind, but then the hands do not cooperate.

Mari said...

Looking good, Julie! Seems you're doing a lot to learn this new skill. It seems to be paying off already.

Judy said...

That looks great and it sounds like you enjoyed trying something new!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The crosshatching looks great. I don't like to practice on non-usable pieces either. I figure using it on a project makes more sense.

Magpie Sue said...

I'm generally impatient with new processes too. I want to be able to jump right in and do it well the first time! Thread issues seem to be a common problem. But you're doing great!

Mystic Quilter said...

With what you are taking on it's a necessity to be very organized! I love your table runner with the cross hatching, which is always a winner. Good luck with the doodling practice.

Kaja said...

I'm impatient too, though sometimes it gets me into trouble! Good luck with your doodling - I'm looking forward to seeing what you're going to produce once you get up and running.

Kevin the Quilter said...

Cross hatch quilting is perfect for this piece!

Kevin the Quilter said...

Cross hatch quilting is perfect for this piece!