I made Waste Not Want Not
as part of Tonya's Liberated Amish 2010 Get Together.
Since then the quilt has been used a great deal.
Sadly, quite a few of the batiks faded . . .
and the quilt has spent the past year or so folded and ignored.
I finally decided it was time
to deal with the worn quilt.
I cut it into five rectangles
and added newly-made red binding
thus creating a set of liberated placemats
for our dining room table.
The backing fabric creates a wonderful alternate look.
I carefully saved my free pieced name from the lower border,
carefully removing the lower edge's binding
and applying new red binding all the way around.
My name panel now hangs in the design studio
above the Baobab Tree quilt
DIL brought back from her African safari.
(if you supersize the photo,
you can see lots of show pins
and other buttons on the tree)
* * *
Honestly, it did feel very strange to cut a quilt apart,
but I'm happy Waste Not Want Not
has been transformed from ignored to useful.
Quiltdivajulie





9 comments:
What a great way to hang on to an old quilt! New life!
Awesome!
What Valerie said... wonderful idea !
Nice save! Your name panel is lovely, too.
I'll bet you took a really deep breath before making that first cut... 8)
I've happily cut a block up b before but never a quilt - I would need to take some serious deep breaths before picking up the rotary cutter! Having said that good for you for adding new life!
You're so brave. No waste, that's good.
How appropriate that you found a way to re-appropriate a quilt called Waste Not. You're definitely not wasting it! Love the name quilt too.
I have never though to re-purpose a quilt like this. GREAT idea! You are so creative. Always thinking outside the box. Thank you for sharing your ideas, dear.
You are brave! I would have been standing there dithering for ages. But it worked really well and much better than leaving it folded in a cupboard.
Post a Comment