Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Midtown Vibe (the quilt)



Midtown Vibe 
is finished!

Younger son and I took it out for a photo shoot last week.

Where?

Midtown Memphis, of course.




Quilted with free motion baptist fans by Chris Ballard.

64" x 80"

Destined for younger son's bed.




We visited the new Overton Square parking garage . . .




. . . and watched while the old French Quarter Inn disappeared
to make way for the new home of Ballet Memphis.




We visited the Levitt Shell . . .




. . . and one of the lions that guard the Brooks Museum.

(you may remember him from the 




Liking the new paint job on the Broad Avenue water tower . . .


Rail Fence (my second) from Cultural Fusion Quilts by Sujata Shah


. . . and LOVE seeing the quilt basking in the late afternoon sunshine.





Quiltdivajulie

21 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Did said son want to climb the water tower to take a picture of the quilt up there???

Cher said...

what a fun photo shoot! I would say your son has as much adventure spirit as you...what a great quilt...thanks for all the amazing photos and snippets of information.

Millie said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

Jayne Honnold said...

I think all your shots are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

Sujata Shah said...

Beautiful pictures of spots around town Julie! Love the wave of the water tower. I see that making way for new buildings all over here too. I have got mixed feelings about that. Your son is lucky to have mama like you and I am so happy you loved making this quilt twice! xoxo

victoria girl said...

Beautiful quilt and great photos, would love to visit your area of the world!

victoria girl said...

I also meant to say that I think the key to a successful quilt in this "pattern" is good value contrast, you nailed it.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wonderful job! Love the vibrancy and movement!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Fun Photo Shoot! THe quilt is definitely a star!

Susan said...

Very nice finish, Julie! (I'm loving that water tower too! How cool!)

Mystic Quilter said...

Stunning settings for a stunning quilt - I'm sure your son is thrilled!

Purple Boots and Pigtails said...

The movement in the quilt pattern is amplified by the angle of placement and shape given to it by the stairs beneath in in the last photo...it creates a rippling waterfall illusion. My favourite photo of the shoot, especially with the scattering of fall leaves. Good one!
I must say that the photo of that old, beautiful Inn being demolished saddens me. All that history and craftsmanship gone...progress has a dark side....

Quiltdivajulie said...

As far as this particular building being torn down - it has been closed and abandoned for many years. Being in such deteriorated condition, there was nothing but to tear it down and none of the local historical groups even made a peep. In fact, the community/neighborhood held a celebratory party when demolition started. So, in this case, taking down was okay.

Kaja said...

Great photos - I love the idea of taking a quilt out for a shoot; each different location shows it in a new light.

Mari said...

Another beauty Julie! What a lucky son you have. And the water tower matches the quilt!

Janie said...

You did it right!! The quilt is fabulous and the photos are so fun!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What fun you've had! Your new quilt is gorgeous....really picks up the colors in the sunshine! Hugs!

Ann said...

Wonderful quilt and a delight to see the sites of Memphis. I know your son will enjoy this treasure.

Jill Fisher said...

I love all of the graphic movement you've achieved and I'm glad that the recipient was a participant in the photo shoot. Now he has a fun memory to attach to his beautiful quilt. Don't you think that the water tower really wants to be a quilt block?

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Looks like you both had fun doing this photo shoot! Great pics, and a great finish too!

Unknown said...

What a STUNNING quilt! LOVE it! I love how the brights are mixed with the neutrals... I have been collecting batik neutrals to mix with my batik brights to create just this effect.
Also, I just ordered Sujata's book last week and then found her site.
Keep up the awesome creations!!!
Peace from Calgary, Canada.