Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Rethinking a Back



Earlier this year,
Cherie gifted me a stack of scrappy churn dash blocks.

I turned those blocks into this 51" x 66" quilt top.




I chose this fabric from my stash for the backing.

And then the project hung neatly in my closet.

Except that nothing happened.

I had planned to have this one quilted . . .

Then I decided to quilt it myself . . .

But still nothing happened.

Why?

I wasn't happy with the back.

Truly gorgeous fabric -
but for this happy/scrappy quilt, 
the trees just didn't sing for me.

(the 63" x 78" back plus 2 yards of fabric 
has been listed for sale on my other blog)

And so the project sat . . . until earlier this week.




These are the 48 10.5" squares that will become a new back.

I am tickled and delighted with this version.

Fabrics include blocks from two J Wecker Frisch panels,
two fabrics with selvages dated 2010,
and a couple of other pieces dated 2012 and 2013.

I liked each of the fabrics individually,
but I love them all together like this.




Here's a detail photo so you can see a bit more.




I cut binding strips from the paintbox fabric used to cover my ironing table.

(And there was just enough left to include four 10.5" squares in the back)




Two of the eight rows have been sewn together.

Something IS definitely happening now!

Soon I'll be sandwiching and pin basting 
so I can begin quilting this soon-to-be reversible lap quilt.


Quiltdivajulie

4 comments:

Gina said...

Great idea. I don't really think about my backings, although I do try and tie in similar colours. I love the paintbox fabric

Pat Converse said...

Love the new back and binding ...it has the same quirkiness to it that the front has and the colors all go really well together. Nice job!

gayle said...

I love it - the back is just as much fun as the front! I'd say that makes this quilt pretty much perfect. 8)

em's scrapbag said...

I love pieced backs and this one is very fun!