Friday, May 23, 2014

One Project - Three Flimsies



In June 2012, I tore this photo out of a magazine.

Something about it shouted "quilt!"


In the Eye of the Beholder by Alan Trout


Last year, I took a picture of this photo.
(sighted in one of DH's  American Association of Woodturner's magazines)


The vessel and its colors spoke clearly to me.


The gathered denim blues shifted to a stack of turquoise shades . . .







. . .  and when Vicki posted about her
I knew it was time to begin.

* * *




This is Karma

44" wide x 66" long

(96 scrappy HSTs)




This is Poolside

44" wide x 66" long

(96 scrappy HSTs)




Karma and Poolside
laying side by side on our driveway.


* * *

So how did I end up with enough HSTs to make TWO quilt tops?

Easy.

The inspiration tutorial called for 166 6" squares.

Instead, I cut my scrappy  6" WOF strips 
into as many 6" squares as possible.


* * *


Instead of another oversized quilt,
I also chose to make a smaller quilt . . .

Which led to making the second smaller quilt . . .

Which still left me with a stack of 58 scrappy HSTs!


* * *




Introducing Oasis.
(shown here taped to the wall where it will eventually hang)

33" wide x 44" long.


* * *


Those final ten HSTs?

They've been banished to the resource boxes.

Three flimsies is enough!






Quiltdivajulie

8 comments:

Nancy said...

You went to town with those HSTs! Great results.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

They are 3 beauties! Now what is the next color group?

Cathy said...

WOW...lovely color combo...and 3 awesome quilts!

quiltzyx said...

Those are wonderful! Now I want to jump up & start making a pile of HSTs....but I think I'd better finish the neck coolers I've been paid for first! lol

Mystic Quilter said...

I love that you now have three quilts from your initial stash of HSTs - all beautiful and I love Oasis.

Gina said...

THey are stunning. Isn't it amazing where you get inspiration from. I've been known to take photos of someone's clothes as I've liked the colour/pattern. My family think I'm mad xx

Elaine said...

All three beautiful-love the denim blues with the boot browns.

Magpie Sue said...

You know, I think I like Oasis the best of the three!

Sorry to learn you've been under the weather. I've been knocked down a lot lately too but it's not anything contagious.