Monday, December 19, 2011

Challenge for the New Year


A week or so ago, one of our town's oldest 
family-owned high-end furniture stores completed their downsizing.

They moved many (!) of their sample books to the new location,
but there was a HUGE pile of trim and fabric sample books destined for the dumpster.

I rescued a car-load and brought them home.

(DH has been such a good sport about all this . . . )



As you can see, DH and I have removed the pieces from their books.
(great project while watching television)



Now ~ for the challenge part.

There are a LOT of inventive, artistic, creative people out there in blogland,
and I would be delighted to share some of this bounty with you.
(feel free to share with your altered-arty and scrap booking friends)

Most of these trims were priced at $15/yard up to $300/yard ~
the threads are silky and lustrous.
(perhaps taken apart and mixed with Angelina fibers?)



And turning this into a swap sounds like fun  ~

I'll mail you a squishie full of trims
 (and fabric - see below)
and you mail me a squishie of batik, Kaffe and/or blender fabrics ~
strings, squares over 2.5", etc.
(no selvages, solids or novelty fabrics, please)



This photo shows the back side of several pieces.
All of the trims had been glued into their books ~ most pulled free with no paper.
(although there are a few like the ones above)

Most of the trims do have some glue residue on the back side ~
but, depending on how you use them, this should not be a problem.



There is also this large batch (maybe 20 or so pages like the ones shown above).

We removed the plastic coverings, but left these trims on their paper backing.

* * * 

Along with the trim sample books,
I rescued 15 or so fabric sample books.
(cottons and silks along with some gorgeous linen/wool/rayon blend pieces)


DH used his band saw and cut the headers/covers off the books,
so the fabrics are now loose and easily accessible.

taken before laundering

I trimmed and stitched this group of Laura Ashley cottons
so I could toss it in the washer/dryer to see how the fabric behaves.
(it did fine, a bit wrinkled but then the quilting is pretty far apart)

* * *


So, if you would like to play along,
please leave me a comment that includes your e-mail address.

Once I see how many are interested, 
I'll figure out how many ways the bounty can be divided 
and still have enough variety to be useful.

* * *


I've made several gift tags already.

I also have some greeting card ideas.
(birthday or anniversary or just because)

For you postcard makers, there are lots of interesting textures . . .



There are also a few Priority Quilt ideas forming.

* * *

What ideas do you see?

Table runners?  Pillows? 

Table toppers?  Mug rugs?

Tote bags?  Purses?  Patchwork vests?

C'mon ~ let's see what we can create!

Note added 12/31/11:
The fabrics and trims have now gone to 
Pennsylvania, Washington (state), Alabama,
California and New Mexico.

THIS CHALLENGE IS NOW CLOSED.

Quiltdivajulie

6 comments:

Unknown said...

My friend has developed a relationship with the local furniture store and for the past 4 or 5 years, they have been calling her to come and pick up the "retired" fabric collection sample books. She has a ton of fun with them. Some of the heavier weight ones she uses to make bags. She gave me a whole book with silks, I need to cut into those! But she has also made quilts too. There is a ton of things that you can do. Can't wait to see all the ideas that people come up with...

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I'm in. And I even have your address to send the squishie!

Magpie Sue said...

I want to play! The first thing I thought of was dolls. Some of those tassels would make fun wigs for small dolls. I believe you have my email address. ;- )

Wendy said...

I would love to play also! As a crazy quilter this would be so much fun to get a squishy with trim/fabric swatches...

Hilda said...

Okay, twist my arm. I've been coming back to this and coming back, and I would like to play along. I need to get back into "playing" more. Let me know your mailing address as well. dhbakke at gmail dot com

Elaine said...

Yes-sounds like great fun. I make Tea Cozies and Tassels and decorator fabric would be awesome. One question-what is a squishie? I have the batiks but need to know what to put them in:)
eswatniki@sbcglobal.net