Why is it that so many bloggers are questioning
whether to continue on or to close down their blogs?
I think I understand the dilemma
because I'm dealing with it, too.
because I'm dealing with it, too.
Not enough hours in the day and not enough energy to do it all.
But who says we have to do it all?
I started blogging 1,000 or so posts ago
because I wanted a way to focus on the good things
(there was a lot of bad stuff to deal with back then).
I do not belong to a local quilt guild
and I really don't even visit the local quilt shops that often,
so I don't have much contact with other people who play with fabric.
That means ya'll are my quilting companions ...
mentors, online friends, and kindred spirits who understand the power of color,
who share the need to cut up fabric and put it back together again,
who "get" the joy of being inspired by what someone else is doing,
and who know the satisfaction of creating something with your own hands
and seeing it used and appreciated (which is why we do what we do, isn't it?)
The inner over-achiever in me says "you need to post every day"
but reality says "let go of that perfectionist thinking" and
"post when you have something to say or share."
* * *
One of my goals over the past couple of years
has been to talk less and listen more.
Some days I do pretty well - others, not so well.
Blogging allows me to listen and share in your lives
(accomplishments, fears, concerns, joys - whatever you share)
and I like that a lot.
Some days are so busy that I don't have time to leave comments,
(even though I'd like to)
and sometimes Blogger just flat refuses to LET me leave a comment
(which is NOT nice).
For those of us who avoid Facebook, Twitter, etc.,
blogging IS our way of staying connected
with this amazing community of creative people.
* * *
So, please, know that I do care that you took time to post
and that I hope you keep on posting as your time and energy permit.
I value what you do.
I value what you do.
I plan to keep posting here when there is something worth sharing
and I will definitely keep reading your posts.
Maybe I'll even be able to leave more comments instead of just breezing through . . .
Quiltdivajulie

19 comments:
Well said.
I hear ya! and agree. If I commented on every blog I visited I'd never get dressed in the morning. But I do try to comment when something really strikes me (like here)
I don't do Facebook or twitter either.
Just want you to know that I have read your posts all this time and I do enjoy and appreciate your efforts. You don't have to post every day or post perfectly. Just keep in touch.
Another interesting post to read with lots to think about..thanks :)
I am in the boat with you friend. I do not belong to a guild. I tried it but didn't get good vibs. I really like the interaction with other bloggers. I have not blogged in a while because of dealing with repairing out house and I may not blog as often as before but I do enjoy it. Like you I am listening more often by reading other blogs. I too enjoy connecting with people that love fabric and love the shapes and colors of quilting.
Thank you for taking the time to share with us. I've been enjoying your blog even though I don't comment as often as I stop by.
You and I are on the same sheet of music as far as why we blog. I'm kinda isolated where I live, two LQS are 20 & 30 miles away, I don't belong to a guild (they gossip and are snarky, made me sad).
Like with quilts, there are no Quilt Police so with blogs I think there are no Blog Police. Who says you have to post every day and leave a comment on every blog you read?
My blog is more of a journal for me, like a diary of what is happening in my life. My sis reads it so we stay in contact that way. Actually I was totally surprised when some started to follow!
Just enjoy blogging, don't make it a chore. JMHO :)
Hi Julie,
Like you, I try to listen more and comment/talk when there is something new to add or to say.
Know that I do appreciate your blog with your interesting posts and photos (love those shoes, by the way).
And I love all the different perspectives you can get from glancing at other's work.
Vicky F
I didn't know that others had been thinking about it too.
I've been thinking about closing mine (and even considering deleting my facebook) because for my blog, I'm not really sure that anyone reads it, though I do have readers.
My blog started out for me as an online quilt journal, because to me it seemed easier than keeping a "real" quilt journal. It's morphed into something completely different now. I'm 100% okay with that, I'm just not sure what people want me to write about. I don't have much time to write anyway, but I still like to write. No, I love to write! And writing about quilty things makes it that much better!
I often have so much to say that it seems I'm better off not saying anything at all. Does that make any sense at all?
I agree, Julie. I've followed your blog for a while now, and continue to enjoy your posts. And I imagine I'll continue to for as long as you're sharing! :)
Singing off the same hymn sheet. If I can't think of anything to say, or haven't got anything to show, then there's not much point in blogging.
I'm also reading, but not commenting unless the post really gets me.
I completely agree with you. I blog to share my thoughts, and appreciate the thoughts and insights of other quilt bloggers.
I understand exactly what you are talking about. I don't have time to comment on every blog I read butni try to on occasion and I try to respond to comments on mine. (it is a very small blog so I can usually manage)
I don't have any stitching or quilting friends here, of course I have spent more time painting than sewing since moving. On the occasions I have considered dropping the blog, I go back and see what was going on in years past and I've found I like having a record - I would never keep up with a diary so I keep blogging. I've 'met' some wonderful people through blogging. I will never be an 'uber blogger' and that is okay.
I enjoy reading your blog - hope you keep it up!
Quiltdivajulie,
I will miss you very much. You have given me lots of laughter and some tears. All good for sure.
I have only just found out I can answer and should have before, but thanks for letting us/we be in your life. I have enjoyed your insights.
thank you.
It is hard to juggle it all sometimes and I have these feelings, too. I'm glad you decided to stay for now. I'd really miss you if you left. Post when you can or want to. No pressure.
Hugs, Deborah
Well, sister, you won't be surprised to read that I understand exactly what you're saying... I mean, I really get it; you know that. Don't yield to pressure, from within or without, post when YOU are ready, about whatever inspires you... we'll be here; ready and eager to read, and to cheer you on. :)
Wow, just reading through the comments you've received has been eye opening for me. I guess we're alike in yet another way: I also want to blog everyday, or at least every time I have something new to show. Looks like it may be time for me to take another chill pill, learn to accept the limitaions of Blogger, Picasa, and Magpie Sue, and rejoice is the blessings that come from whatever blogging I manage to accomplish (Nancy Near Philly made a really good list!).
I agree - I enjoy reading blogs and now and then posting to mine, although not as much as I used to.
Dear Julie - I occasionally fall into that same mind-set, that there are so few comments, but then I remember that it is ME, who is also not commenting to others blogs, yet I get pleasure from reading their posts. Look at your stats - they will probably show you get HUNDREDS of viewers but only hear from a few. There are days when I don't say anything to other blogs, but something they post is just RIGHT ON with a personal issue, or some words of wisdom or .... something that shores me up on a 'down' day.
And I truly enjoy writing, reading, reviewing my OWN blog and my OWN projects. Things change and then we change things, but personally, keeping my own blog up is something I WANT to do, LOVE to do, and for me, personally NEED to do.
I don't Tweet, or do Facebook or anything other than my blog and 2 e-mail lists.
Keep on keepin' on, please.
Post a Comment