Saturday, July 9, 2011

Process Notes


This is the view from my studio window
(our neighbor's back yard looking through our bald cypress tree).

Sometimes, I just need to stop and stare out the window.

That, and empty the trash, tidy the studio, slow down, and re-group.

In the end, working on Gotta Love It came out at the top of my list.

Retro Blooms - Wendy Williams

This is a photo from the magazine pattern.

The next photo is of my version ~ very much a work in progress.

You'll notice that I've now ditched the pattern instructions ...

double click for fabric details

The colorful fussy-cut center circles (see previous post) did nothing for the project
once I trimmed the wheels into blocks and laid them out on the wall.

I let them sit overnight, but they were even less desirable the next day.
(they're now in the orphan box)

My idea, long before I found that fabric, was to use a different shape
instead of the fussy cut flowers and swirls from the pattern.

After auditioning at least a dozen different combinations,
I settled on these two fabrics  (3-1/2" squares) and am VERY happy
with the look and the movement they generate.

(Oops ~ I just noticed that bottom left corner square.
Missed changing that one .  . . )

The inner border will be trimmed down a bit
(if you double click, you'll see it has scattered tiny silver stars).
and I'm working on the 4 corner blocks
(black and white is the only hint for now).


Meanwhile, I'm stitching a gazillion strips together for the outer border.

Lots more stitching ahead!

Quiltdivajulie

5 comments:

Quilt Doodles said...

I absolutely love your version. I will stay tuned to see it finished. Great job!

Deborah said...

Stunning!
I totally understand the window thing. Very, very necessary.
Can't wait to see this finished!
Deborah

Kathy said...

Isn't it great to ditch a pattern! Looks great!

Jean said...

This is very pretty. What magazine was the original pattern in? I need to make this one!

Magpie Sue said...

Well I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that the fussy cut circles didn't work out but if they didn't work, they didn't work! This is still a way fun quilt - or will be. ;- )

Your collaborative project turned out gorgeous. Did you weave batik strips and then they were polyurethaned over the bowl?

I feel almost guilty sitting here with the windows open and the temps less than 70* outside... The Pacific Northwest is definitely the place to be right now!