Thursday, March 17, 2011

(Mis)Adventure


I was able to leave work an hour early yesterday ~
so cutting the 16 prepared Marcia Derse fat quarters 
for a Yellow Brick Road quilt was high on my list.

[Note:  I know some don't like this pattern,
but for efficient use of fabric, pure power sewing,
 and allowing chosen fabrics to be the stars
instead of fancy piecing, YBR  is hard to beat.]

Above you can see the 3-1/2" strips being power-stitched to the 6-1/2"strips.

Problem was, I got overly involved in the joy of power sewing (it felt SO good)
and I stitched ALL 16 sets of strips together instead of only 8 sets.

Remember just last week, I mentioned not working well from directions?
Case in point!


Moving on without missing a beat,
I used some of the A and all of the B sets I had 
to create this first set of 16 blocks.


These 12 blocks in the second configuration feature more of the properly pieced block segments.

And then I was left with a stack of incorrectly pieced strip sets . . .

Now what?


As a liberated/ UnRuly quilter, no way was I going to unstitch. . . 

Time to consider other options!

* * * 

The pattern creates 9-1/2" blocks.

My goofed-up strip sets measured 9-1/2" ~ 
albeit in a different configuration than the pattern designer specified.

Okay - using the 3-1/2" segments from step A
and adding 6-1/2" segments from my messed-up strip sets
yielded 9-1/2" blocks!

Woo Hoo ~ no unstitching required!


After a quick press,
I tossed the 40 blocks up on the design wall.
(this lap flimsy should finish at 57" x 75" according to the pattern envelope)

I'll take them back down for trimming
and then spend a bit more time on the layout
prior to the final assembly process
(stitching can be done from their current condition,
but it goes much faster and the flimsy lays much flatter
if the blocks have been trimmed first).


Because I started with 16 fat quarters when the pattern called for 12
(I have had fat quarters come up short so I always add a few extra to the mix),
I have segments that will become a scrappy stripe for the back of this quilt.

Not too bad for about 4 hours' work!

Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------
p.s.  Lynne's quilt, Magic Happens, is scheduled for delivery this morning.  WARNING:  Serious Squee Alert!!

7 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Ohh man that's turning out really cool!!!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

since I don't know what that pattern "should" look like, I'd say your happy accident probably improved it. Now it's Julie's Road instead of YBR.

jovaliquilts said...

Very cool indeed -- and those are fabulous fabrics! I'm one of those people who's not usually a YBR fan (although I made one once as a donation quilt), but I have to say this is looking really good!

Twisted Quilts said...

I really like what you have done. I am not familiar with the Yellow Brick Road Pattern. I love the way it highlights the fabrics

Fran said...

I do a lot of intricate piecing, so every once in awhile it is fun to sew a quick, no-stress Yellow Brick Road. It is also one of my go-to patterns for a baby quilt. It's okay for the kids to drag around, get dirty and generally "use it up," and it is big enough for them to continue to use long after babyhood. Yours is turning out particularly well. I might need to check out those fabrics! Good job.

Vicki W said...

That's going to be the coolest looking YBR ever!

woolywoman said...

I like it. I'm not familiar with the pattern, but I think some big prints, or special fabrics like these, calls for having a simple pattern with larger cuts. It really sparkles!