Friday, February 11, 2011

Friday Surprise!


Those snowflakes in my previous post turned into a messy, icy three-inch snowfall.

I know, for many of you that is nothing.
But here, the world pretty much stops turning.

My office closed mid-day on Wednesday and Thursday was a snow day 
with courts, many government offices, LOTS of doctor offices, 
and so many school closings that the list went on and on and on.

Things will be back to normal by the weekend with temperatures well above freezing.

So what did I do with that time at home?

I can't show them to you, 
but I pieced and finished the two backs for Lynne's two quilts.

double click for more detail

I also made the final six socks for Sock Swap II with Mary Lou's Yahoo group.  
All 12 of these will go in the mail to CA today!

Let's see ~ I pre-wound bobbins, sorted fabrics,
washed/dried/pressed those wonderful fat quarters,
planned at least two or three quilts while I was stitching,
did some stuff around the house, baked apple cinnamon muffins,
and I made something special that I can show you.


What do you do with orphaned orphans?

There were lots of leftover strips  after I finished the two quilts for Lynne.
I used them all together to make more fabric!

There were only a very few pieces left from the squishies Lynne sent
and I used them to make the top of the "something special."

Back
Ta - Da !!  

Yes, it is a quilt for Lynne's cat, Millie.

We had three of her Gizzy quilts here at one point ~
one for Rufus, one for Star, and of course, one for Miss Angel.

When Angel crossed the rainbow bridge, her quilt went with her.
When Rufus and Star (MIL's cats) were adopted into their new forever homes
 their Gizzy quilts went with them.

Front

I figured that since Lynne is going to get TWO quilts
from her stash of orphan pieces, her Millie should also get one.

Not to worry, Millie ~
your quilt will be freshly laundered so there will be no traces of snow.
I'm pretty sure you have enough of that at your house already.

Have a good weekend!

Quiltdivajulie
---------------------------

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have,
but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”  (Frederick Keonig)

7 comments:

Millie said...

WHEEEEE!!!!

I looked at the first "something special" and I thought, those look like the fabrics in my quilt. Then I saw the back of it on the snow and I thought.... that's a small quilt... that's a Kitty Quilt! Woo hoo! It's great! Millie will love it.

Totally Awesome!

Tonya Ricucci said...

wheeee, lucky Millie!!!!

Hilda said...

Wow, I love your socks, which has inspired me to get busy with making mine for the swap. I can't wait until they're all swapped out!
Hilda

jovaliquilts said...

Sweet! When cats have their own quilts, does that mean they sleep on theirs and not on yours? ;)

Teresa said...

Cute quilts.. Brrrrr, cold background.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful snow day(s). They feel like free days don't they?

Magpie Sue said...

No better way to use a snow day! You done good - and Millie is a very lucky cat!