Friday, December 17, 2010

You Have to be Kidding Me?!?!? (COW alert)


To borrow a concept from my friend Nancy, Blogging Near Philadelphia,
this is a COW* post.

I avoid going to the grocery store for a variety of reasons,
chief among them being the 9+ months of reconstruction,
expansion, and utter chaos at Kroger.

Last night, I reluctantly went to the store after dinner
(the new facade is finally complete, so I was hopeful).

Not only was the inside of the new "foyer" (lobby) grossly incomplete,
but the interior is far-far-away from being completed.
Worse than that, there was NO HEAT in the building.

The clerks were bundled in hooded sweatshirts with their
store shirts stuffed over the padding (think blue shirted snowpeople).

Almost every employee was wearing a hat and gloves  ~
checkers, managers, and stockers, alike
(can we say fumble fingers?).


And then, I came around the end of an aisle,
and discovered a pair of end caps . . .

On December 16 ~

EASTER candy !!!

Really?


So, with trite/tacky Christmas carols blaring through the 
cold-crackled speaker system into the warehouse-style, uninsulated space,
I pulled out my camera so I could share these photos with you.

Why is it that we can't slow down long enough to enjoy one holiday
before the merchants are already demanding our attention (and $)
for another that is nearly four months away!?!?!

Sigh.

Here's to this weekend filled with plenty of December-holiday activity
and enough space and time to enjoy the moments.

Quiltdivajulie

* COW = Cranky Old Woman

10 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

MOOOOOOOOO

sosarahsew said...

Now that I have seen the definition for COW, note that there is another self-proclaimed one here. The store could have kept the evidence in storage for another week or two. Makes me wonder what the expiration date is on them... oh no, another reason to be considered a COW!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Either they are lacking for storage space or that is last year's supply being peddled.

floribunda said...

shouldn't they be trotting out the Valentine's candy before the Easter stuff? Sounds like someone needs a better calendar!

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine what they were thinking...could it be left over from last year...are they skipping Valentine's Day? We just had a super Kroger open in our neighborhood...I went yesterday for the first time...no Easter candy in sight..I do know that stores are discounting their Christmas stuff already and it is still a week until Christmas...Let's enjoy it first, guys.
Mama Bear

Magpie Sue said...

I've gotta remember that acronym! So appropriate!

Poor Kroger employees. I guess I tend to think like Wanda, that they are trying to get rid of inventory that somehow got lost in the shuffle after last Easter.

Barb said...

that is amazing...totally!

*karendianne. said...

Good Lord there is no reason for this that I can think of that works.! I just can't get my head around this. Great COW post.

katydidart said...

I agree completely that retailers are going to extremes to make money from the next holiday. Let's all slow down and enjoy the present. I'm sick of seeing Christmas decorations before Halloween!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

aaagh noooooo. way way way too early. and what the heck happened to Valentine's Day?