Sunday, November 21, 2010

Colorful Process Notes


And then there were four!


After finishing the second block,
I took time to pre-cut the unwieldy WOF strips
into 6" (give or take) lengths.


I also took time to cut all of the background squares
(and slice them in half).


I'm using the block dimensions from Bonnie's tutorial.
(Once I created my paper template,
DH used it to make an acrylic version.)


I'm stitching directly onto the batik base
(offers size and stability with no paper to remove).




This will become a wall quilt for my day job's work space
unless it upsets my co-worker who struggles with
severe arachnophobia.  I'll need to name this quilt
something benign that emphasizes its colorful kaleio-qualities
instead of ever mentioning the traditional block name!


And those colorfully-random bits of trimmings?
I'm saving them to make a scrappy basket!

~ ~ ~


Taking a few days off posting-wise ~
Hope ya'll  take (make) time to enjoy every moment of this Thanksgiving week and weekend!


Quiltdivajulie 
------------------
If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice.
(Meister Eckhart)

11 comments:

Tamara Hampton said...

thanks for sharing the process with me. I wouldn't have thought to use the base fabric as your foundation!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It is looking good! A lot of people don't sew on the base after the first seam but I think the extra body would be good. This one is on my to do list for next year.

*karendianne. said...

Comment #1 - I really hope you're right about that quote at the top friend. Still hanging in there but continuing to feel like "gee, do I still like this quilty stuff?"

*karendianne. said...

Comment #2 - Wow! So neat to see how this is done. And DH made that template for you as well? That's also very neat. I've never actually seen how these are made (that I can recall) so this is quite eye-catching. Very colorful and just amazing. Love the name, too!

Kathy said...

that's a great idea about using the background fabric for a base! I hate having to take out the paper.

I just had a class with Bonnie and she helped me make the paper template. Hmmmm....going to have to rethink my approach!

Would your hubby be interested in making the template to sell?

Magpie Sue said...

That's definitely the way to do it! I might even try this someday!

Magpie Sue said...

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Clare said...

and the best bit is no Y seams! Really must remember this.

Unknown said...

Always have loved this pattern. Yours is a beauty! I love the batik that you are using too.

Ruthie said...

What a wonderful idea! I'll have to get my husband to make me one of those templates.

Anonymous said...

I love what I am seeing!!!!!