Thursday, October 7, 2010

Planning Ahead



During November, I have a week of jury duty.  
What to take to help pass the hours while waiting to be called?

Hand work was the obvious first choice - 
but my thumb joints quickly reminded me 
hand work wasn't such a good plan.

Books were the next obvious choice.  
So I spent some time browsing 
to see what I'd like to read.

Adding up even the discounted prices, 
I quickly realized that 'now'  just might be
the time to seriously look at e-readers.  

But which one?  

I consulted several online review sources, 
visited the Amazon Kindle and B&N Nook websites,
talked with DDIL who has an e-reader
and who has co-workers with various brands of e-readers,
and spent some time with the Nook-lady at our local B&N store.


I'm already 1/3rd of the way through my first downloaded book - 
A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff - 
and I can tell that I'm going to like reading this way.  

But then another dilemma presented itself:
The Nook really needs  to be protected as I carry it about.  
So ~ which kind of case to purchase?  

I figured there had to be better prices online than in the store 
(and more options) 
and that proved to be true. 
 Just look at all these covers!!!
(not to mention the prices)

Stopping to think for a minute ~ 
why should I pay for a case designed by someone else
when I am a quilter?

Front ~ closed

Back ~ unfolded/open

Ta-da ~ this is my quilted batik Nook case, 
straight from my scrappy stash!  

Inside

Still need to get a couple of Velcro dots to secure the flap, 
but otherwise, I'm very happy!.

[deeply contented sigh]

Quiltdivajulie

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your case much better than the pre-fab ones anyway. Just lovely!

Twisted Quilts said...

I have a Kindle and I love it. I should make a case. When I had jury duty they would not let you bring anything, no book, no newspaper, nothing.

*karendianne. said...

Congrats on your new e-reader. That's perfect for YOU! :) Now, I have to say your case is so delightful. It's beautifully jubiliant. It's YOU! All for you with love, *karendianne.

Chartreuse Moose said...

What a wonderful new excuse to quilt...plus you've made a "duty" seem so much more attractive! Thank you for a fun post!

Melinda said...

I made a selvage cover for my Kindle - I love my Kindle and I am sure you will love your Nook.

Anonymous said...

Jury duty,not so cool, your new reader and carrying case, really cool!

Teresa said...

I have the Sony reader and absolutely love it! I wasn't sure I would as I like books, but my husband gave it to me for Christmas and its the best gift ever. We just bought my daughter a Nook and hopefully she is going to figure out how to reformat the files so that my Sony can read books she downloads and vice versa. Love your case - she made a case for hers as well.

Elsie Montgomery said...

You are so smart! 'Course we knew that already...!

Clare said...

I've always been a bookworm - got hundreds of them - and I think reading off an iPad, Kindle, or any other e-reader won't have the same appeal, or feel, as the printed page. Anyway, don't we spend enough time looking at screens throughout the day! The aging eyes deserve a rest.

Love the case.

Magpie Sue said...

When I looked into a Kindle the prices to download the books I was interested in were about the same as the cost of the paperback version. I like the feel of an actual book but can see the benefit of not having to store them. So many options...!