Friday, July 9, 2010

I'm honored . . .

Why do I participate in and support the efforts of

I do so in honor and memory of my mother
~ Lura b.1916 d. 2005 ~
. . . her life, her legacy, and her Alzheimer's journey.


Early on,
(photo above from 2006)
I created Priority Quilts 
as a way to work through my grief.

Now I stitch and remember  ~
and do what I can
to help make a difference,
one quilt at a time.



Today I learned that my Priority Quilt
The Puzzle Known as Alzheimer's
has been one of 41 PQs selected to be part of
the new traveling exhibit for AAQI.

The exhibit will also feature
the names of 10,000 individuals
who have or had Alzheimer's
on the 55-purple-patch name quilts.

Alzheimer's Illustrated:  From Heartbreak to Hope
will begin touring in January 2011.

I am truly honored to have a part in this exhibit
and its upcoming five year journey.

~~~

And, now that June has announced
her Creativity Initiative
prompt for July,
I've already started gathering ideas
for what will become my 71st PQ.

This month's theme is . . .

 Dream

Quiltdivajulie

9 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is truly a great honor to have your piece in the travelling show. I know you will make many more touching priority quilts for this cause.

quiltmom anna said...

Congratulations Julie- It is such an important cause- I salute you for your generous gift of time and caring to honor your mother. My mother in law has Alzheimer's and it is a difficult road to travel with a loved one. She lives in a care facility and will soon turn 88 years old. Someday I will create a quilt to honor her too. I just haven't figured out what I want to say.
Regards.
Anna

Michele Bilyeu said...

I have been so moved by this whole process and when I saw all of the quilts selected. And you know just how much you have inspired me to quilt for AAQI when dealing with the disease in so many of my family members might have simply ripped me to shreds. Your dedication has given me a focus, Julie and I love that gift!

Vicki W said...

Congratulations! My Grandmother's name was Lura. She was born in 1909 and I had never heard of anyone else with that name until I read this post about your Mom.

*karendianne. said...

Oh Julie, my heart leaps for you! I'm so, so happy for you my friend. Oh so happy. I can't even imagine what DREAM will bring with all your wonderful creativity. Oh friend. You're a flourishing example of life. Much love, *karendianne.

Susan said...

Congratulations, Julie, and please continue your efforts in the battle against Alzheimer's! We need to find a cure or at the very least an appropriate treatment for this horrible disease!

Darling Millie said...

Congratulations, your quilt deserves the acclaim. It's awesome.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

What a thrill for your quilt, such a personal expression, to be selected for this honor. I applaud you and your dedication to a such a worthwhile cause. You have honored your mother with an incredible gift.

Brenda said...

congrats! it is truly a great quilt.