Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Work In Progress


I think I've shared before that I use a lot of 3-ring binders and insertable plastic page protectors to organize my quilty papers.  I gather lots and lots of bits and pieces (photos with colors from catalogs and non-quilting magazines, quotes, quilt pics from quilt publications, interesting quilty and thoughtful creativity-themed articles, tutorials from other blogs, etc.).  The notebooks seemed like the easiest system to keep track of all those ideas (if I were starting now, I would scan and store many of them electronically but I'm not going to go back and change what I've already done).

After spending some time this weekend tidying the studio, I was left with this pile of "to-do" work.


Armed with a full mug of hot tea and my trusty laptop, I set about updating my quilt journal files, my blog lists of projects (pending and done - linking photo albums where available, etc.), and putting all those bits and pieces where they belong.


Another hour or so later, everything was neat and tidy (for a little while anyway).  Partially because of my mother's Alzheimer's journey and partly because I spend my work week being paid to keep track of other people's papers, I worry that I won't remember where I put things.  I know that fear drives much of my need to keep track of what I have done and what I'm working on and what I want to do (the gestation notebook).  Useful ~ but it does take time.  When things become too messy and scattered, I have to calm it down and gather my thoughts so I can "Breathe In ... Breathe Out ..." 



After all that, I pulled out the box of coffee-themed fabrics from Chris's recent recycling drive.  There were two large (Turning Twenty?) quilt blocks that I used for the center along with four squares.  The rest of the scrappiness was cut into 3" strips which were sewn around the center section.  Now, French Roast, the flimsy, is finished - it measures 41 x 58.  The back is a reddish companion fabric ... and another PIF quilt joins the growing pile headed for Chris's house.  The flimsy is actually much better looking in person - this photo doesn't do the Deb Strain Bistro fabrics justice.  Once it is quilted and bound, I'll share better pictures!

Long weekend is over ~ back to the routine of work and the gym and ... 

Quiltdivajulie

p.s.  Please check out the current post on my other blog featuring one of my all-time favorite gift quilts!

2 comments:

Twisted Quilts said...

I love your method of organizing. I use a lot of notebooks and plastic sleeves myself. I got in the habit of doing that when I was teaching. I have also started a notebook of recipes and menus. I like to look back on holidays and remember what we had, what was good and what was not.

bingo~bonnie said...

clicking on the photo of your laptop I noticed the program is a data base called Quilt Album..? Is this something you bought? does it only work with apple? I like this!

looking forward to hearing from you, as this would be an awesome way to stay organized!

Love from Texas! ~bonnie