I love this stage of the process ~ the blocks are down off the wall, the rows are assembled, and the flimsy begins to take on a new life of its own.
The colors and shapes are no longer flat and lifeless ~ they bend and flow and run into each other with joyful abandon. Dimensions and scope are finally revealed . . .
After sixteen months of pondering, gathering, cutting out, organizing, and stitching, I was able at long last to take the central part of the flimsy downstairs to our bedroom and spread it out on our bed . . .
I anticipated that it would need borders to finish off the quilt but, to my dismay, I discovered that Spirit Song, the bed quilt, would need a lot more blocks (at least 14, maybe even 26) or really wide (read: far too wide) borders to function the way we needed it to.
After recovering from that initial shock, DH and I spent several hours thinking about the obviously too-small flimsy on our bed.
Neither of us were blown away by the effect (the colors did not sing, in fact they almost felt muddy - after all, the walls were a different color back when this project began).
Neither of us felt the "Oh,YES!" as we expected (and wanted) to feel.
Neither of us were excited by any of the block/border alternatives. (DH really didn't want to listen to me and I really didn't want to make that many more blocks. Not mention the fact that my 'method' involved using each fabric only once for each block element and those cut from fat quarters had left nothing but threads.)
In the end, we arrived at an unexpected but wonderful decision:
Spirit Song, 70" x 80", is going to become a dynamic wall quilt in our foyer (joining Flying Monkeys and Vortex Interrupted) . . .
It will hang in the space where my first quilt from the Fickle Pickle pattern, Colors of Joy, hangs now (meaning Colors will finally become a usable lap quilt). What a perfect win-win situtation!
And those asterisks . . . they are still calling me to come and play!
Quiltdivajulie
-------------------------------
"Change always comes bearing gifts." (Price Pritchett)
9 comments:
Wow!! Love it! Too bad it didn't fit on your bed, but I just love the idea that it is a going to be a wall quilt. I think that it just belongs there.
Dang! I leave for 2 seconds and the whole world changes. What a whopper of change it is, too. From blocks to flimsy. Well, this is thrilling my friend. No doubt about that. Thrilling.
Tha t is one gorgeous quilt. It will look wonderful on a wall.
Zippidy-do-da that is a gorgeous quilt.
Your flimsy is gorgeous! Can't wait to see the finished project. So sad that it will not fit your bed. But wonderful that you have already found a place for it.
Well! What a happy resolution to a potentially big disappointment. Spirit Song is going to be fabulous in the foyer. (If, indeed, it retains the name Spirit Song!)
The rumply shots have me wondering, are the non-pieced arcs fused?
So glad you were able to find a solution to your problem. It is going to look smashing on your wall!
beautiful. all that hard work and not quite what you needed. gack. glad to hear that it's going to go on the wall where you can enjoy it.
Post a Comment