LINKS TO MORE BLOG PAGES
- Home
- My Studio Squirrel Scurry
- Max - Who's Max?
- Pin Basting My Quilts
- My Studio Space
- My Fabric Stash - Buying and Using It
- My Macnas Quilts
- My Dumpster Diving Quilts
- My Et Cetera Quilts
- My Kitchen Table Quilts
- My RSC Quilts 2014-21
- My AHIQ Quilts
- My NOT a Mystery Quilts 2008-2021
- My Liberated Letter Quilts
- Rescues and Legacies
- Journals and Books - 2023-2024
- Published, Juried and Award Winning Quilts
- The Free Pieced Barn Project and BUILD A BARN
- Why Blog?
- Quilt Index
Sunday, May 30, 2010
Let It Be . . .
If you read my last post, you already know that working from a kit is not "my thing."
When I put the 5th row of unpressed blocks up on the design wall, I discovered the last block was upside down ~ which meant I immediately reached for my seam ripper.
But then I then stopped.
"Wait a minute - what was it about the quilts showcased in Accidentally on Purpose that made them so special? What is it about so many other vintage quilts that tickles us today?
Right - that "not quite perfect" part. So I put away the seam ripper and left the block right where it was.
When it came to piecing the borders, I promise (honest!) I was following the directions: right ~ left ~ angles ~ everything. But I came out with 6 of A2 and 4 of A1 instead of the designated 6 of A1 and 4 of A2. Sigh.
Again, instinct led me to reach for the seam ripper. A moment of indecision and again I chose not to un-sew.
So here is the flimsy of Let It Be with borders ready to be stitched in place.
Not quite the way the designer and the folks at Connecting Threads envisioned it ... but imperfectly okay, just the way it is.
Quiltdivajulie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
And even better than the "perfect" design!
I go with my motto "finished is better than perfect".
This is a courageous thing to do. Those of us who procrastinate because of that fear of "not doing it right" should follow your lead. It makes life a lot easier if we can just get over that notion that everything has to be perfect (as if perfect is possible). Thank you.
You go, Girl! I like the "syncopation!" Makes the viewer stop and look twice, and most of all, it makes the viewer THINK!
Love it!
This is going to be very soothing to someone. The idiosyncracies in the design will make it more interesting at the same time!
yes, definitely makes it more interesting!
Post a Comment