This was the scene on my studio floor Sunday morning. Jester is on one design wall and Milestone is on the other so, since they are stalled, anything new has to go on the floor.
I had a plan in mind when I ordered those wildly colorful Mendoza fabrics ~ but, as usual, the plan changed. While browsing through the free patterns available on the Robert Kaufman website, I found this one and knew it was "the one" to use. Of course, since I wasn't using the fabrics suggested in the pattern, it took some head scratching and such to figure out what to put where and how to piece the rest into a back . . . but it worked itself out (thanks to the gorgeous blue I re-discovered last week whilst cleaning out those drawers).
The top measures 45 x 60 (I added to the pattern's original 44 x 51 dimensions by including the horizontal borders top and bottom). And yes, I realized (too late) that I hadn't squared off the corners (oops!)
It was windy when I tried to take photos ~ I never did get a shot of the back without the flipped over corners (despite several push pins on the back side of the fence). At the bottom of the tree panel, I was able to keep the selvage intact (you should be able to see when the photo is enlarged).
Honestly, I'll be glad once this is quilted, trimmed, and bound ~ the large scale and colors of the back are a bit overpowering with the extra 6" all the way around (makes life easier for Chris to long arm). And then there's the name. Suggestions are welcome!
Now to get the border squares sewn together for the PIF quilt . . .
Quiltdivajulie
7 comments:
Absolutely beautiful! The pattern was perfect to showcase those pretty fabrics. And the back is as eye-catching as the front. Love that tree panel.
Love it! When I first saw this pattern, I printed it right off. Now, I know I'm actually going to make it someday...and I rarely use patterns;) Your is wonderful!
This is a beautiful quilt. That is one of the patterns that I have saved. Great minds and all of that.
I bought the fabric after you first posted about it but haven't decided what to make yet. I do love your quilt - both top and back.
I love this quilt! The juxtaposition of symmetry/order and free-flowing wild color really speak to me. I too love the tree panel. My suggestion for a name is "Abstract Geometry" or "Wild Symmetry."
Wow, I love the way you used those prints! I still don't have a clue how I'm going to use the Mendoza prints I ordered. I think I may need to get one or two more to add to the mix... ;- )
Ok..I am going to Tar-Jay this weekend and see if I can find me a jester too - I just love it! Your organization looks so good, and must be awfully tempting to just get in there and start creating something new. I love the softness and peaceful mood of your sweet sixteen (is that the correct name - I can't see the blog as I write this) quilt.
Post a Comment