Friday, April 9, 2010

Waiting for an answer

Sometimes, waiting is the best course of action. My quilts have taught me that, time and time again.

This particular quilt is no exception. The strips came from Wanda's stash (she had several sets for sale a year or so ago). Once they arrived at my house, I cannot tell you how many different quilts I designed for them, never stitching a single stitch.

Then, in January of this year my H quilt, inspired by Wanda's example, became a reality ~ it was my evening, in the hotel room, project while we were in North Carolina at the Folk School.

The still un-named flimsy went off to spend several weeks with Chris for quilting. Through a series of schedule issues, it was ready to come back long before we were able to coordinate a swap. Earlier this week, we met up and the H quilt came home.

This scrappy binding is NOT what I had pre-made or planned to use. It was made long ago for another quilt but left behind. Now, H is For ? is coming together and becoming what it was meant to be.

Here's to the upcoming weekend!

Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------
"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work but rather, teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea."
(Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

5 comments:

Laura said...

I love scrappy bindings and I agree, sometimes it's best to let a quilt sit until it speaks to you about whatever the next step is, borders, quilting, binding, etc.

Mary said...

I love the idea of quilts talking to us. Maybe the reason I have so many unfinished quilts is that I can't hear them!!

Millie said...

I know just what you mean. My quilts tend to take a life of their own, and are quite demanding about what they become! I agree with you that you have to wait until they tell you what they want.

Barb said...

I love your quilt and binding...

Magpie Sue said...

I don't remember whether you decided what H stands for but my feeling is "H is for Happiness!"