Tuesday, April 13, 2010

At Home

This was the scene in my studio Sunday evening. You're right - they're NOT pickles! [And please forgive the date stamps on these photos. DH used my camera and neglected to remove the changed setting (and I didn't realize it until too late).]

Named At Home (another DH naming), this quilt will be gifted (they don't read my blog, so it's safe to share with ya'll). This is the orientation I used while stitching (although I had to unstitch and re-do three of the logs because I got the top turned around the wrong way - arrrgh).

This is how it looks from the other direction. There really is no "right" or "wrong" ~ a good thing.

I took this one (at dusk so the flash was involved) so you could get a better idea of the colors away from the design wall. The red really isn't as pink as it might seem ~ it's more of a garnet-toned magenta. These are the Marcia Derse fabrics I purchased in February during our field trip to the Delta Patchwork warehouse. [I did work from a pattern for the dimensions ~ Charming Log Cabin by Threaded Pear Studio ~ although I will not be using their scallop idea with this fabric combo.]

Here is the label. It is not pieced into the back but stitched on so that it will be quilted into the quilt. I used a Sharpie to write on the freezer-paper'ed fabric, removed the paper and heat set the printing, pieced a bit, pressed some more, and finished with selvages (giving me woven edges and no turning under).

At Home has been sent off to Chris. Meanwhile, I'll get the binding ready (strips are cut from that wonderful turquoise blue that has hints of purple in the background). This one measures 64" x 88" so it will take a little longer to bind.

Hope the kids like it! When the sun shines on the fabrics, the glowing colors remind me so much of those in the Santa Fe area where their wedding was held.

Quiltdivajulie

10 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Stunning! What a lucky couple!

Unknown said...

I am sure they will absolutely love it!! How couldn't they?

Barb said...

I love those colors....love the quilt!

Denise :) said...

This is *so* beautiful; I know they will be thrilled! Nice finish! :)

Anonymous said...

I love it, the connection with the wedding spot is really neat! The blue binding is going to be spectacular! LOVE IT!

Twisted Quilts said...

What a great quilt. I love the way you used the green, orange, and blue and used the print to pull it all together. I also love the big log cabin design.

Vicki W said...

I love that color palette!

Magpie Sue said...

I love that back! And what a brilliant idea to use selvages on the outer edges of your label. I doubt I would ever have thought of that but I love that you could document the fabric you used in the quilt that way. Awesome!

Kathy said...

Beautiful and that is really clever about using the selvages for the edges of the label!

Tonya Ricucci said...

ooh, fun. That fabric with squares is wonderful - adds some excitement and I had to keep looking to see if you'd pieced all of them.