Friday, November 20, 2009

Not Quite So Furry Friday

This is where we've been for over three months now . . . devoting countless hours, significant dollars, and considerable effort of all kinds to help MIL's cats Rufus and Star thrive and become full-time members of our household.

Sadly, despite our best efforts, the kitties themselves have helped us make the final decision. Angel is losing weight and has become tentative and evasive. Despite his early adventures, Rufus has been staying in the laundry room and kitchen, rarely venturing more than a few steps into any other room before racing back to his hiding spots. Star, at 18, seemed to handle the transition better than either of the others but she has also had several ongoing issues.

So, in the best interests of each of the kitties, and for our own long-term well-being, we have very sadly surrendered Rufus and Star to our local shelter knowing that they have a good track record and a high adoption rate for healthy cats. Our prayer is that they help Rufus and Star each find new homes where they will be happy, healthy, adored, and loved. And our other wish is that the freedom to move around her house again without being intimidated will allow Miss Angel to return to her former sweet self.

Tough choices are never easy . . .

Quiltdivajulie

12 comments:

Darling Millie said...

I am sending you love and hugs. You have been through a great deal.

Mandy said...

Oh! That's sad... but I hope that in the end, it'll make your home happy again.

it's always stressful to worry about a loved ones pets when they're gone.

My grandma had to get rid of my grandpa's dog when he passed too... but now he has a home with kids and he's much happier than living with her.

Tonya Ricucci said...

always difficult. hugs.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Well you gave it your best shot and that is what is important. I want your kitty to be herself again.

Elsie Montgomery said...

A difficult choice, but you tried, and someone will have just the right place for them. Hugs from me too.

Twisted Quilts said...

You are so right, tough choices are so hard but it sounds like this is best for everyone. Just think of the joy they may bring another home.

jovaliquilts said...

Sorry you have had such hard decisions to make. No fun at all.

*karendianne. said...

You're in my heart my dear, dear friend. As we've already discussed this I don't think I need to say anything more except that I love you because we can't have too many "I love you" comments tossed around now can we?!

Magpie Sue said...

Oh, that is a toughie. So sorry to hear it isn't working out for the cats. I'm hoping for happier days for all three of them.

Paula, the quilter said...

That was a very difficult decision to make. One that I had to make 30 years ago: between a dog and a baby. Uh, guess which one stayed.

Anonymous said...

That is sad, but I'm sure you are making the best choice for all involved. (((((Hugs)))))

Unknown said...

what a difficult decision you had to make. they'll find a home that's perfect for them. i just know they will.