Friday, November 6, 2009

Furry Friday

MIL's china cabinet has been moved to our house to store/display some of my quilts. The furniture was originally dark wood, later antiqued with 60s burnt orange, and finally painted this age-yellowed cream. The glass doors have been stored and, at some point, we'll move the cabinet outside so that it can be re-painted (color to be chosen after we live with it for a while). My original plan was to remove the lower doors and also have quilts in the bottom section, but I'm not so sure we want to create a cozy kitty-nest.

Look up on the balcony . . . do you see him? That's Rufus in full contemplation mode. What is he contemplating? Whether or not he wants to repeat his recent leap to the brown chair. The first (and so far only) attempt surprised him as much as it did the two of us ~ especially since he neglected to factor in the fact that the chair rocks and swivels. Talk about a freaked-out cat! [and yes, that is newly-quilted Quiet Elegance hanging over the balcony railing ~ waiting patiently for me to work on the binding]

This is the view from the balcony . . . the plant is strategically positioned to discourage intermediate-level jumping and we're trying to discourage Rufus from any further full-story leaps, but he is truly a three-dimensional fellow so it won't astonish us if he makes another attempt.

Meanwhile, Star continues to control the chair to my sewing machine. I forgot to cover the seat the last time I finished sitting there, so the lint roller will be required before I can sit there again.

Here is Angel enjoying the early morning "after breakfast" sunshine.

This is the first corner of my hand quilting project . . .

And here's one last "furry" photo - taken as we walked to a neighbor's house for their annual Halloween party ... DH went as Thing One and I was Thing Two.

Life goes on, one purr at a time . . .

Quiltdivajulie

17 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Awww, Angel girl. You holding up okay with all the new kitties? It's so hard being a cat. I know. And RUFUS! You are the worse bad cat on the planet EVER next to all the other worse bad cats on the planet. Please refrain from doing these leaping bad cat things. It ruins your HANDSOME COOLEST CAT EVER title. Scaring the humans! Huh! Well, come to think of it. That is something you would do. ...and Star, well, what's a little cat hair between friends? I understand. Shed on my friend, shed on...

hee!!!

Vicki W said...

When I was a child, we had a cat that loved to be tossed off the deck. He would actually run back up the stairs and climb up one of us so we would toss him off again. We renamed him "Pounce".

SpinningStar said...

And... when I was a child, we had a cat that liked to explore and bring back things for us, like a small fruit bat. We named him Christopher Columbus. He disappeared one day - the same day someone was over working on plumbing or something. We figured that Chris Cat went exploring in the truck and got out ?? number of stops later.

You are going to have some wonderful cat stories to tell us.

liz

Michele Bilyeu said...

Oh my gosh, Rufus may be in a contest with Rembrandt (Sew Primitive Karen's hilarious and unpredictably mischievous cat) for quilting cat stories to come!Since I love cat stories...I'm looking forward to them..as long as Rufus stays safe and not sorry! I've had cats fly off my loft rails twice and my heart stopped both times! The quilt is lovely and you do have an elegant house with your lovely touches. I think the hutch looks quite nice as a quilt cupboard and how wonderful to share MIL, her hutch and some quilts, with her cats and you! But a cat nest...more lint rollers would have to arrive along with a permanent Gizzy down below;)

jovaliquilts said...

Well, Thing Two, you have learned a thing or two about cat-proofing a house! :)

Nancy said...

The cabinet is perfect for displaying quilts, absolutely perfect.

Rufus is a dare devil, indeed. I could picture him landing on the chair and freaking out. :o)

The Calico Cat said...

Cozy Kitty Nest - that is what I made. You see I work on binding in bed & I toss the unfinished (in this case finished) over onto a rubbermade bin. Since I did not get to folding it & putting it away - or putting it on the bed & using it, RB has made it into a nest.

I have a cabinet with a few quilts - that has glass doors - when I open it to get a CD - one of the cats will invariably try to make a nest in there...

LizA. said...

Love the cabinet. Years ago, back when I lived on the east coast, I had a friend who had an old pie keeper chest that she lightly "pickled" and used to display quilts.

That's quite a leap for Rufus -- Wow. As a kid, I used to have a Siamese who loved to sit on the TOP edge of the bathroom door. You had to look before you tried to shut the door.

Barb said...

wow.....love all of your quilts

Elsie Montgomery said...

Enjoyed this post, your new quilt cupboard, and cat antics. Who says cats have no sense of humor!

Twisted Quilts said...

Love the china cabinet, what a unique way to use it. The cats are so cute.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I guess you'll know if Rufus got a thrill out of it if he continues doing it. On the other hand he may be down to 8 lives.

Quiet Elegance looks nice hanging there. I enlarged the picture to try to see the quilting. Did you find a binding fabric yet?

Gari in AL said...

I love your new quilt cubby. I have a gun cabinet that DH was going to use for something but now has decided he doesn't need. It has a full glass door and will soon hold my quilts. And the fun goes on.

wordmama said...

Love the stories about the cats. Lots of fun. I love how you can just look at a cat and see that he's thinking about his next gymnastic feat. Sounds very exciting at your house.

Sharon said...

Your story about Rufus just cracked me up! I can just imagine how exciting that was for all concerned...heeheehee! Bad cat. Maybe he learned his lesson??

Your "new" quilt cabinet is great! My cats would be making a nest up in the quilts in the top - nothing deters them from getting on a quilt. *sigh*

Tonya Ricucci said...

Mine would already be making that cabinet a kitty nest - they'd flatten themselves in and dig their way in. love the hand quilting!

Leah said...

i love how you've displayed your quilts. very inspiring. and i really like that green black white one your cat is laying on.