Friday, October 16, 2009

Spreading the Word ~

WORLD QUILT FEDERATION SMACKDOWN*
Four Quilting Heavyweights Face Off To Fight Alzheimer’s

In honor of National Alzheimer’s Awareness Month four small quilts by world renowned quilters Hollis Chatelain, John Flynn, Becky Goldsmith, and Sue Nickels will be auctioned to benefit the Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI). The no-holds-barred, knock-down, drag-out, head-to-head, quilt-to-the-death (not really), grudge match will be held November 1-10 in the AAQI “Smackdown Auction Arena.”

The 10-day online silent auction (Nov. 1-10) is all about bragging rights—and raising awareness and money to fight Alzheimer’s disease.

Chatelain, Flynn, Goldsmith, and Nickels created miniature masterpieces representative of their quilting style specifically for this head-to-head challenge. The quilts range in size from 16″ x 16″ to 18″ x 18″.

The World Quilt Federation Smackdown quilts will be shown prior to the auction, for the first time anywhere, at the International Quilt Festival (IQF), Booth #4660, in Houston, October 14-18. In a gutsy move Smackdown promoter Ami Simms (a.k.a. Founder and Executive Director of the AAQI) will allow the Smackdown quilts to be purchased at the IQF. Each quilt carries a price tag of $10,000.

“I’m fully expecting all four quilts to be available for the November 1st auction,” said Simms, “but I’m pretty sure the George R. Brown has a defibrillator on site just in case.”


*The World Quilt Federation is totally fictitious. Any similarity to professional wrestling is obviously intentional and all in good fun, although the winner will receive the WQF belt made by John Flynn. "

A Viewers’ Choice component to the “Smackdown” will also be offered. Anyone wishing to support the work of the Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative can make online donations to the nonprofit in amounts as little as $5 beginning immediately, assigning their donation to one of the four quilts. One dollar equals one vote. The quilt amassing the most votes will win the Viewer’s Choice Award. The Viewer’s Choice Award donations have no bearing on the sale/auction outcome whatsoever.

About the AAQI
The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative (www.AlzQuilts.org) is a national, grassroots charity whose mission is to raise awareness and fund research. The AAQI auctions and sells donated quilts, and sponsors a nationally touring exhibit of quilts about Alzheimer’s. The AAQI has raised more than $316,000 since January 2006. Ami Simms of Flint, Michigan is the founder and executive director of the AAQI, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit operated entirely by volunteers. She is a quilter. Her mother had Alzheimer’s.


- - - - - - - - - - -


So which one is your favorite? I am touched and haunted by Fading but I also appreciate and really like Golden Feathers . . .

Quiltdivajulie

3 comments:

Elsie Montgomery said...

Wow! What a great idea, and the quilts, they are incredible. Thanks for the links and this news!

Magpie Sue said...

Argh! I got the email about this and then promptly forgot to post it on my blog. I now consider myself reminded. (Although I can't promise that I'll act on it immediately. I'm trying to clean up my RSS feeds...)

Cher said...

had a chance to see these 4 quilts in person in Houston..fantastic