Thursday, October 15, 2009

So much . . .

I didn't take this photo ~ it's a photo from my desk calendar . . . but the image speaks volumes about how things are just now.

"Rain is grace; rain is the sky condescending to the earth; without rain, there would be no life." (John Updike)

We've had so many gray, overcast, misty-moisty days . . .

"For after all, the best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain." (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow)

Last night, for the first time in too many weeks, DH spent time in his workshop . . . this elegant little bowl needs a few more rubbings with oil finish, but it serves as a tangible marker on the journey back from where we've been.

I did some hand piecing last evening while I listened to the first session of my online class . . . there's a vague idea in my head of how this might evolve, but I desperately want and need to allow the stitching to lead me where IT wants to go. Gari used the word muse in her post today . . . and Fiona at Planting Words touched on much of what I'm feeling about my class . . .

There are several new-to-me books waiting beside my chair ~ With Sacred Threads, The Creative Call, Zen Therapy, Finding Your Way Home, The Artist's Way at Work (Riding the Dragon), No Enemies Within, I Will Not Die an Unlived Life, and Spirited Threads ~ among others.

So much to absorb and consider and ponder . . .

Quiltdivajulie
------------------------
"It is quite true what Philosophy says: that Life must be understood backwards. But that makes one forget the other saying: that it must be lived forwards. The more one ponders this, the more it comes to mean that life in the temporal existence never becomes quite intelligible, precisely because at no moment can I find complete quiet to take the backward-looking position.” (Soren Kierkegaard)

9 comments:

Michele Bilyeu said...

Lovely bowl and fabric piecings....and they speak volumes all by themselves, as well. A bowl to refill...fresh and new...with abundance of love everlasting, as well as treasured moments of the past, and all of the little pieces, the fabric of your lives, cut apart and now being put back together again in a new form, with new vision. Blessings to fill your bowl, your put together piecings, and both of you!

The Calico Cat said...

I wish I could run over & give you a hug... (((((( HUG ))))))

*karendianne. said...

A delicate lovely bowl that speaks to carry a lifetime of thoughts, to be held and admired. Your piecing is cheering my Self. And oooh those books. Those wholesome treasures to hunt for. Those open me at any page and you'll find the right message treasures awaiting you. Ahh, I honor your process.

SpinningStar said...

My thoughts have been with you...I saw many similiarities between what you & your dear husband experienced with what I went through just over a year ago.

I think the suddenness of it all and the ups and downs of having good days and progress then those days of "what happened - she was ok when I left ...." is overwhelming.

I know it is hard not to mull over the "what-ifs...." I have been doing that all year. And the holidays will be challenging - but enjoy them and remember how she enjoyed them...

take care..Liz

Twisted Quilts said...

It has been rainy and cold here in NC too. I have been thinking a lot about what you and your husband went through with her MIL. It is difficult. I hate saying I will be glad when it is over but in some ways I will be. Life is so hard at times. I have been working on some scrap blocks and been making them into houses. I am going to put them together into a quilt and call it my Therapy quilt.

Teresa said...

A very nice bowl. My dad turned wood from trees he cut down in our yard, and then planed. I love the smooth warm feel of wooden objects.

Susan said...

What a beautiful little bowl! It's a process that takes time...I'm glad that your husband is back and doing some of the things that he loves to do.

We have the same yucky forecast here only our rain is falling as snow. Mother nature is not on my nice list today!

jovaliquilts said...

Glad you are both on the road back. The bowl is beautiful, and as always I love how you photographed it. Such attention to everything -- no wonder you feel things so deeply.

Magpie Sue said...

What online class is this?
At least the rain can provide peaceful moments in which to stitch or ponder or read...