Monday, June 8, 2009

Weekend in Red

First ~ here is the newly-finished flimsy Dave and Friends.  The wall hanging (roughly 40" wide x 39" high) was inspired by a pattern (by Janet Jones Worley) that I purchased only a few months after I started quilting (the store sample was done in batiks) and, once quilted and bound with a slightly wonky black and white stripe, will hang near my desk at work.  

Each of the kitties features different black and whites ~ and the fabulous red Laurel Burch background and border sets them off much better than these photos show.

Why did I name it Dave and Friends?  When I took Garcia, my selvage quilt, to work and asked my co-workers for name suggestions, one of our attorneys kept saying "name it Dave."  One thing led to another ~ and it really does fit this one since we now have 12 partners in the firm and two of them are named David.  

This quilt also counts for Jackie's Black and White Challenge.  There's another black and white and red quilt on my list of projects ~ but I need to finish some others first.

Of course, Miss Angel  (shown here lounging on her Gizzy Quilt) was my main inspiration for tuxedo kitties in the quilt.

Most of the weekend was spent pressure washing the driveways and patio.  Our over-15-year-old pressure washer burned up late this morning which gave DH a great reason to visit Lowe's this afternoon.  This unit is much 'prettier' than our old black one (which is now on the curb with the trash cans).

Finally ~ our magnolia tree is working overtime this year and the back yard smells heavenly!  Sure made spending so much time there a little easier. 

Quiltdivajulie

16 comments:

Clare said...

What a wonderful quilt. I love it!

Millie said...

Love the quilt! Love the tuxedo cats!

jovaliquilts said...

So cute! Your background and border fabric works so well. It's a happy quilt.

Anonymous said...

Oh I just love "Dave & Friends" and I'm not even a cat person. Too cute and I can just see it in batiks.

Vicki W said...

What a cute quilt!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Oh, Magnolias... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. :)

Dave has a handsome group of friends!

Jennifer said...

Are the kitties appliqued or pieced? I love them, we too have a tuxedo. His name is Rufus, I'd love to make something like this. Great job.

Linda said...

What great cats!!! I love them.

Anonymous said...

The quilt is just darling!!!!!! What fun!! Can't wait to get my hands on it! Soon, soon!

*karendianne. said...

So happy to see Angel (first!)

And really, seriously, Dave and Friends is my new favorite quilt of yours!!!! Stunning. Supreme. Just tops. Your workmanship is out of this world and the fabrics are fantastical magical and I'm barely sitting still ~ love it!

Magpie Sue said...

Wow! When did you whip that out?! So cute!

Whenever I ask for help naming a quilt the first response my husband gives is nearly always, "Fred."

Paula, the quilter said...

Dave and friends is one seriously cute quilt.

Gari in AL said...

Love your Kitties: such fun.

Unknown said...

I LOVE the black/white/red kitty quilt! If you were still here, this would certainly be apropos to the color scheme and the mascot! Miss you still...

Jean said...

This quilt is so cute...I saw it at the b & w challenge. I may have to get the pattern and make one. Thanks for the info!

Sølvis blog said...

Lovely cat-quilt