Monday, June 15, 2009

Still Here

The first storm blew through Friday as I was driving home from work. I was about 5 minutes behind the tornado that hit part of the town where I live. We lost a large branch from the maple tree in our front yard - MIL was without power for 18 hours; all in all, it could have been much, much worse.





Sunday morning, I awoke to another terrible thunderstorm with high wind. Next thing we knew, a very large section of our maple tree (first photo above) split away and filled the side driveway. The photo above shows the view from our porch Sunday morning and the view below was taken Sunday afternoon (the pile of tree branches on the right is ours, it is taller than we are and the length of roughly 3 medium sized cars; the one on the left is our neighbor's).



We lost internet service during the Friday storm - it has not yet been restored (meaning DH has to actually go in to the local office to work today instead of working from home as he usually does).

With the destruction and damage in other parts of town, it may be a while before we have online access at the house. So, if you don't hear back from me as quickly as usual ~ you'll know why.

Here's to the crews (police, fire, ambulance, tree services, power companies, dispatchers, etc.) who work around the clock when storms wreak havoc.

Quiltdivajulie

6 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Oh my goodness, what a storm! I'm so glad you weren't hit worse, but I guess some people in town must have been. Thank goodness for the rescue and recovery teams.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Such power unleashed, glad you're all OK. Whenever we believe we're in control it only takes thinking about the power of nature to put it all back into perspective. Hope that's it for you this summer, storm-wise!

verobirdie said...

Good that you are safe, but it looked terrible indeed.

Elsie Montgomery said...

I'm so glad that it was a tree and not you or your family. Storms are so humbling, and at the same time can be terrifying. hugs...

Magpie Sue said...

Holy cow! I had no idea you were having such severe weather. So glad to learn all is well with you and yours. I'm with you regarding the crews who work around the clock in emergency situations.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you got home safe and I hate your lost part of your tree, but I know how lucky you are that only that happened to you! I had Kamryn Friday and I had no idea about any storm coming. I got her home just before it hit, but had not made it home myself. I stopped and took cover in the Walgreens 2 miles from home. I don't usually get easily shaken, but I knew from the sirens blaring and what I was seeing with my own eyes, that it was time to get inside. I had no intention of being in my car if a tornado hit! I stayed at Walgreens, along with others, to ride out the worst of it. I am happy to say, that we had no damage. We have no trees, so I guess that was one less thing to worry about. I was disturbed to be awakened again on Sunday with the 2nd round, Bella and I were held up in the bathroom this time, no tornado warnings, but it was wicked! I am very very thankful to have only been out of cable for 24hrs. Phyllis was out of power for 2 days, it was 100 degrees at her house, she would not leave her home or her animals. They are re-couping from the drama. I feel very saddened for the folks in Olive Branch that lost their homes! I can not even imagine! Here is to our good fortune, in the scheme of things!