Thursday, March 12, 2009

Tie Project ~ Change of Plans




I’ve finally come to a decision ~ I’m going to turn the satin from the skirt of my wedding dress into a whole cloth table runner/dresser scarf instead of piecing it with the silk ties. With her free-motion skills, I’m sure Chris can work some wonderful white-on-white magic...

Why have I made this decision? The satin does not play nicely with other fabrics. It does not add anything to the tie project (no life, no ‘glow’). It is hard to work with. It does not like water or steam ~ meaning whatever I make with it will be formal and not user-friendly. It gives me a massive headache.

Quilting is not supposed to make us hurt. It is not supposed to make us feel miserable or guilty.

Quilting is supposed to engage and challenge us, encouraging our creative natures.

And so, I have made a choice.

I have a number of ideas for the silk tie fabrics ~ once I get them all taken apart and interfaced (still working on this, a little at a time). So, I am not abandoning the project, just changing course and heading off in a different direction.

Warning: It may be a while before you see anything come of this (but that’s okay).


Quiltdivajulie
----------------------------------
As for me, all I know is that I know nothing. (Socrates)

4 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I think this is a splendid idea, the skirt stands alone and has a well-deserved place of individual honor.

Donna said...

better to change plans now, then hate the whole process... :-)

Anonymous said...

I think that is a great choice. You will be able to place it somewhere special and see it often. I look forward to it!

Helen said...

I used my wedding gown to make a baptism gown for my youngest granddaughter last year.

I went shopping to find fabric (along with my daughter) and couldn't find the quality of fabric for the gown that I had anticipated. All of a sudden, a LIGHT went on in my head.

I offered my wedding gown for the project and daughter objected. Her husband also objected strongly. Me, on the other hand thought of it this way...it's been in the box for nearly 40 years. My girls have gotten married and didn't wear it. What better way to use it than to make such a special garment.

The gown was gorgeous, maybe I'll post a pic sometime.

I felt very honored to use my gown for such a wonderful project.

Whatever you do decide to do with it, enjoy it. You'll be happy you did.