Not enough energy this weekend to do any serious stitching (or much of anything else) ~ but, somehow, the time was absolutely right to begin a project that has been gestating, in one form or another, for several years: the deconstruction my wedding dress for use in a quilt.
Separate the skirt from the bodice (being saved for a future project).
Next, the also-creamy lining was cut free and laid aside for possible use as backing.
The seams holding the inner layer of stiff, scratchy, almost-brittle tulle were cut apart.
And now I'm gently picking out the stitches that have held the 6-inch skirt-encircling lace in place for nearly 34 years.
And, as the lace falls away from the satin ~ possibilities and doubts and memories swirl.
For now, it is more than enough to finally begin.
Quiltdivajulie
4 comments:
looking forward to seeing this progress -- I've promised a quilt from a co-workers wedding dress (her wedding was yesterday) so any and all ideas will be helpful! :-)
that dress should yield a lot of fabric for your project. did you make the wedding dress?
As your blog title says..."Exploring the Possibilities...." I think that is as great a part of who you are and what you do, as what you end up accomplishing (which is huge, btw!) It's your wonderful creative curiousity...your own 'what ifs' inside that keep you going. And when one has been under the weather....deconstruction is a wonderful way to begin again!
Sorry you're feeling under the weather. One of the (few) perks of being homebound is I rarely end up with those contagious bugs! Even so, I could use a deconstruction project about now myself...
Post a Comment