Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Breakthrough ~

Those of you who have been with me a while know all about my slow cloth French Roses project ~ and how it both delights and annoys me.

Out of nowhere this morning, it hit me like the proverbial "ton of bricks" (maybe it had something to do with Mrs. G's Let's Talk Tuesday question about buyer's remorse??) ~ I don't HAVE to keep doing what I've been doing ~ I can change the plan . . .

So ~ there will now be two ice cream quilts instead of one.

The first will feature the 12 already-completed rose blocks, set in a 3 x 4 arrangement with a narrow inner and 6" outer borders. This romantic lap quilt (Ice Cream and Roses) will be a surprise third anniversary gift for DS and his wife in June (shhh, don't tell them).

And, since the roses used only 1/2 of each fat quarter in the 25-piece Posh bundle, and I'll have loads of leftover border/backing fabrics ~ I will make myself a subtle, scrappy on-point Yellow Brick Road quilt (Ice Cream Social).

. . . I feel the most wonderful mixture of liberated exhilaration and heady relief . . .

Quiltdivajulie

-------------------------

"Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you." (Nathaniel Hawthorne)

9 comments:

Donna said...

isn't it great when a solution just suddenly presents itself :-)

Susan said...

That sounds like a wonderful plan! I love the fabrics too...so pretty!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Well there you go... ice cream served up for EVERYONE! It's a celebration!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Good to hear that your creativity has 'open mind' included! I can't wait for the pictures!!

Magpie Sue said...

What a wonderful solution! I love that you already have names for these quilts-to-be :- )

jovaliquilts said...

Yay!! Great solution. And from my point of view, the more things called ice cream, the better.

Debra Dixon said...

Well, I don't know the history but if it is anything like mine, I overbuy fabric for an idea and then have enough for zillions of quilts so I have a feeling, you did the same thing.

Teresa said...

Sounds like a great plan to me!

Anonymous said...

Those fabrics do look good enough to eat!!