Monday, January 5, 2009

Chasing My Red Balloon ~

Does anyone else out there remember this short film?




It has been one of those bits from childhood that has stayed with me forever. . . I watched it whenever Captain Kangaroo shared it and I've loved it ever since (oh, how I wished for a friend like that balloon).

I recently treated myself to the newly enhanced DVD version of the film and the book (which stays at my desk at work to remind me of the outside world). And I'm waiting expectantly for my Puss n' Moonboots card that features a whimsical red balloon.

There was an essay in Quilting Arts a while back about a quilting teacher helping her students chase their red balloons [of creativity] which resonated deeply with me ~ the writer's bottom line was that the creative lies within each of us, we merely need time and space to let it become.

Since so many others are posting about their goals and resolutions, I'm sharing this as an example of the attitude I hope to maintain ~ one of wonder and openness, of loyalty and possibility...

Quiltdivajulie
----------------------
"When nothing is sure, everything is possible." (Libbie Fudim)

5 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I remember that movie! It's been umpteen years since I've seen it, though. Enjoy your journey!

AmiSimms said...

I LOVED that movie. Had to watch it every time it was on TV; showed it to my second graders when I taught school and could rent movies from the local library. Cried every stinkin' time. The BEST! (As a kid I was convinced I could understand French becasue, well, I understood the movie and they spoke French!)

Merci for the great memory.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Oh, yes... how I remember. Thank you.

Diane said...

Yes, I remember that movie. Loved it! It's funny just how many childhood memories I relate to watching Captain Kangaroo. When I read certain books to my young children, like "Mike Mulligan and his Steamshovel," or "Caps for Sale," inside my head, I heard the narration from that show. Now this will really sound weird, but I remember exactly how it sounded when the Captain did a craft project, cutting construction paper with his safety scissors. Kids nowadays would be boreed stiff with the simplicity and slow pace of a show like that, but it was gentle and sweet and left its mark on many of us.

Sunnie said...

You mentioned Captain Kangaroo, one of my dearest favorites, so I just must ask you: do you remember The Banana Man?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et6Jt2YX44o
I am amazed by how many people loved the Captain but cannot recall this bizarre act, which was on once or twice each year.
I think the Captain had a lot to do with us being creative today!