Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Nashville Show - Day 1


Started out  driving through rain this morning, which gave way after an hour or so to heavily overcast skies.  The sun broke through shortly after I entered Nashville ~ their air quality today was awful.  Smoggy, smoggy, smoggy.  The heat had also increased, so the walk from the Opry Mills parking lot through the old Opryland theme park to the Opryland  hotel/convention center was a bit uncomfortable ~ but...

What a thrill to see my quilts hanging along with the others today... wow!  Chris and I wore ourselves out looking at the amazing workmanship.  There are just NOT enough hours in the day!

There were no ribbons attached to mine ~ I really didn't expect to find any ~ but they are present and in great locations.  It was such fun to watch others stop and look... and even more fun to talk with some of the other quilters wearing pink "competitor" ribbons on their name badges.  And many thanks to the kind anonymous quilter who used my camera to snap a photo of the two of us with Thirty Years Later...

At one point, we heard shrieks of joy and everyone headed in that direction.  The beautiful purple Best of Show ribbon had just been pinned to the winning quilt ~ about 20 of us grabbed our cameras and started taking photos.  The woman who made the quilt was beaming ~ five years of incredible work.  No photos can do justice to the exquisite applique and amazing detail.  Fabulous!!!

I've created a Picasa album with the photos I took this afternoon.  Tried very hard to capture the name tags associated with the various quilts in order to give credit to the makers.  There are still A LOT of quilts at the show that we haven't seen ~ saving those for Day 2!  And another half of the vendor area remains unexplored...

Chris and I stayed at the show until just after 5 then headed to Applebee's for dinner.  Then off to our respective hotels to crash and regroup for tomorrow.   Stay tuned!

Blogger and/or Picasa are being tempermental about organizing the album (approx. 145 photos - some with captions, some without) ~ sorry about the last few that are out of sequence... we walked through several times and kept noticing things we missed on earlier rounds!

Enjoy the photos - click here to view.

Quiltdivajulie

7 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

How great to see you with your quilt hanging in Nashville!!! Hope the trip is every bit as wonderful as you were hoping. I looked through your album. There are some lovely quilts there. I love that house one in the vendor booth, and the fabric in the daffodils one just glows.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Thank you for the wonderful album. It is almost as good as being there.

I'm glad you got a picture of you by your quilt too.

Y did have a great postition.

Dionne said...

What a fun day you had, thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures!

Teresa said...

Oh how I wish I was there too! There are a group of ladies from the York County Quilters from Rock Hill SC - if you run across them, say Teresa says HI! Thanks for sharing all the pictures, they are just remarkable.

Pam said...

Thanks for sharing. The slide show is wonderful.

Tonya Ricucci said...

so wonderful to see you there with that fabulous quilt. wish I could have been there.

woof nanny said...

I love the neckties quilt! I have a blog just about sewing with neckties and would love to blog about that quilt. I wonder how I could contact the quilter? My neckties blog: http://sewingwithneckties.blogspot.com