I've shown several photos of items on or near the "glass-fronted cabinet" on my sewing table. So here's a photo of the things INSIDE that cabinet.I found the delightful little pin money bank on e-bay ~ "pin money" was a phrase my mother used a lot. Answers.com offers this explanation: "Small amounts of money for incidental expenses, as in Grandma usually gives the children some pin money whenever she visits. This expression originally signified money given by a husband to his wife for small personal expenditures such as pins, which were very costly items in centuries past. A will recorded at York in 1542 listed a bequest: "I give my said daughter Margarett my lease of the parsonage . . . to buy her pins." [Early 1500s] "
The sitting Buddah cat was on my desk when I worked as Asst. Dir. of Advancement Svcs. at a private college here in town... it continues to serve as a visual reminder to "Breathe in - Breathe out" and to stay in the present.
Cats on Quilts is a small book with wonderful art including cats and quilts (1840-20th century) along with interesting text, quotations, and poems.
And the beads ~ I love their colors and sparkle so they are stored where I can see them.
Quilt Pixie is also participating in the July challenge to post every day. If you have time, you might want to check out today's entry ~ thought-provoking!
In response, this blog is absolutely my electronic journal. I try to focus on the good things that exist in my life (determined attempt to break free from the power of the negative) and quilting/fabrics/colors are certainly high on my "happy" list. Having others peek in and occasionally comment is wonderful feedback. I love it when lots of folks chime in, but I am not doing this merely to garner lots of traffic. (I also journal offline ~ sometimes handwritten, sometimes electronically.)
So many things swirling in my head today ~ it's hard to settle in and get back to work; but I'm here and I must so I'll do what I can.
-----------------------------
"Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, "This is the real me," and when you have found that attitude, follow it. (William James)
3 comments:
I think the buddah cat is so wonderful! A little irreverent but a great reminder without too much seriousness :-)
Its interesting to hear from a variety of people and how we all use blogging as part of our lives -- but the role it fills seems as varied as the people... It is a good place to focus on the positive and stay upbeat. Thanks for that reminder.
I love your pin money bank, too cute!
Thanks for the pin money explanation..that reminds me my grandma (now gone 20 years) used to have "mad money" that she would use now and then. I think it is time for me to put aside some mad money too! Thanks for bringing up a good memory for me!
Post a Comment