Hanabi, Macnas series no. 10, is pin basted at last.
With so many colors in the fabrics, it was a bit of a dilemma deciding which Pinmoors to use . . . Pink? Blue? Green? White?
Ahh --the yellow ones will be the easiest to spot while quilting.
After that dilemma was resolved, the lingering "what color thread should I use" was no longer avoidable (that's been the biggest hang up getting this quilt over the finish line).
I deliberately did not look at color names, only how the threads played across the top and backing. I even consulted the binding to make sure the chosen thread color had some connection to that fabric.
You can see the base of the winning spool above. Thursday's project is to get the bobbins wound and the free motion quilting underway.
In the other studio, I have finished adding backgrounds onto the 100+ index cards for my "whenever-I-need-to-sit-and-glue" collage project.
The white baskets are the result of an evening spent sorting through stashed ephemera. Having a jumble of items in a basket for each of the nine color groups helps spark ideas/generate results with much less pondering time needed.
(my ulterior motive is to define some boundaries and keep me from searching endlessly for that 'perfect' something)
* * *
Hope to have a finished quilt to share in the next few days.
"Perfection is shallow, unreal and fatally uninteresting . . . "
Anne Lamott
8 comments:
Yes, purple works well for quilting a scrappy top. My most recent flimsy generated a few more 2.5" white-with-black strips. I'm contemplating my own Macnas as a result.
This is a fun quilt - never thought about what color pin to use!
Macnas #10 is such a neat quilt!! Great that you've gotten all your card backgrounds finished, QDJulie;)) Now you can look forward to adding all those special pieces...hugs, Julierose
Choosing thread color is always a challenge.
I find that I engage in a lot of 'sit and stare' (or stand and stare) during the quilt process. Some of that happens when I am selecting thread...then I have to decide what quilting pattern....it's an investment that is usually well worth it in the end! I love your color choice!
who knew black could be so colorful....really pretty!!
Super fun quilt in progress, Julie! Thread selection can be tricky and is such a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" choice. I truly think ANY color could have been the "right" one, but I like the shade you decided on. Congrats on getting your cards ready for decoration! Are they for the upcoming challenge at Daisy Yellow Art? I planning on adding my 2026 ICAD collection into another of the composition books you gave me. That worked out perfectly for me last year!
Oh, what a fabulous array of multicolor black fabrics!
Post a Comment