Friday, April 24, 2026

The White Coat, V2 Begins


In 2011, I had a hare-brained idea that was first shared here on the blog in this post.

(some of the missing photos in the linked posts are awol because they're no longer in the online album but thankfully the post's link to Em's  inspiration post is still working)

This photo shows the front of the finished coat with elements gifted by a LOT of my blogging buddies, too many of whom are no longer bloggers.


This is the back view of the finished coat.

I wore it several times when doing trunk shows or at the beginning of classes but for the last several years it has simply hung in the back of my waiting-to-be-quilted closet.


Removing all of the elements from the white coat was the handwork project I mentioned in the previous post.  I've kept the black and white fabrics and selvages intact for now.

The dancing ladies in this photo were made by Nancy Near Philadelphia.


The seminole piecing in this photo was contributed by Lynne.


This particular block was shared by Sujata Shah.


And the embroidered piece was sent by Mrs. Goodneedle.

With everything removed from the cut-apart coat and safely stored in the project box, I can go through and measure each piece to help me as I ponder how to give them new life.  

So far, I've thought about a fabric book or possibly a throw quilt - but it is far too soon to decide.  

I need to let all of this marinate for a while before moving forward.

And, if you want to read more about how the original white coat project came together, you can use the 'white coat' link at the bottom of this post to see all of the related posts.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"I just don't feel like I have to explain myself."
Dolly Parton

3 comments:

Julierose said...

So great to have all these memory blocks to work with, QDJulie...
I will be looking forward to seeing how you use them...such a group of "Pretties";))) Hugs, Julierose

Juliann said...

Wow! That was quite a project. Loved traveling down memory lane with all the quilters who contributed. Seems we have been reading the same blogs for a long time.

Connie said...

What a project and now to take it all apart and make something new of them . . . I think a colorful quilt would be lovely and something that you would get much more enjoyment out from.