The quilt's name comes from the backing fabric's name - Grandiose by Philip Jacobs from the Kaffe Fassett Collective's Vintage line.
The binding came from the stash - no selvage, but it has been waiting for a long time.
The color palette was pulled from the stash in December 2023, inspired by the colors in the backing fabric.
The rectangles for Grandiose were cut in early January 2025, and the top was finished in September 2025.
Quilted in April 2026 using Glide thread in Robin Egg and my all-over liberated nested spiral fans.
There's something so wonderful about these colors - a bit mysterious while being simultaneously soothing yet energizing.
* * *
Macnas series quilt number 9/12 - Enchanted - is rolled onto the pool noodles ready to be pin basted. Looking at the calendar, I'm not sure how much extended studio time I'll have for the next week or so but I plan to squeeze in some short sessions whenever there's a break.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"Creativity is not the possession of some special talent. It's about the willingness to play."
John Cleese
10 comments:
green is a color i'm not particularly drawn to but this is gorgeous
Simply gorgeous colors in this Macnas quilt, QDJulie...it is a very calming piece I think...lovely work on this iteration of the Macnas series quilts...
I am hoping to sew binding on my Jelly Roll Jazz quilt today--that will have finished off the blue batik jelly roll...taking a bit of a breath before opening another one. ;))))
hugs, Julierose
Oh, I just love the John Cleese Quote!!! Grandiose lives up to its name….beautiful. Hopefully little bits of time will add up to a lot of quilting 😀
This quilt is like a calm summer day, one where you can relax and smile.
The colors are so energetic! Good choice to use a fabric as inspiration for colors to use. One of my quilting friends taught me that trick long ago.
Oh this is a fine one.... I really like the color combos! Its so pretty!
Love, love, LOVE this one, Julie!!
The colors of Grandiose quilt are wonderful to me. They make my heart sing. I just recalled a fabric in all these colors that my Mom used to recover a rectangular trunk, aound 1970. Always love these colors! Laura Haynes
I haven't used my Pinmoors yet, but they travelled to TX and back w/me. So that's something.
Yesterday, I was doing a Show & Tell of your Macnus series with one of my Loved Ones. We'd seen several when we got to Grandious. Maybe, my favorite of the series.
She saw something very different. Seeing the top 8-10 rows, the dislexia in her brain immediately suggested (maybe insisted) that she was seeing a QR Code. She had to stop and think through what her brain was telling her. She wasn't seeing color play, but just pattern. This launched a whole discussion. She immediately pointed out how she sees color in art on the wall, vs product packaging nearby. The brain is so amazing in all it's workings! This Loved One lives with mental gymnastics all day in ways I know nothing about, yet has figured out how to do it successfully. Truly, she is amazing! Who knew that quilt color & patterns could open up such a deep discussion? Priceless❣️
Laura H.
Super mix of greens here Julie!
Post a Comment