Thanks to Winter Storm Fern, I have spent quite a bit of time in the studio since Friday. The photo above shows the very long runner after the binding was applied.
(We were fortunate in that we were spared the very worst of the freezing rain, so our power thankfully stayed on. That said, we are not going out anytime soon. DH has managed to chip away enough of the drift in front of our frozen down garage door to get one car out in an emergency but the rest of the driveway and the neighborhood streets are solidly covered in layers of ice-coated snow and frozen sleet. The city is valiantly trying to clear the main roads but it is very slow going with the snow/ice/very low temperature combination.)
The finished runner is now living on the back of the rocking chair in my studio.
I also had enough uninterrupted sit-and-sew time to sew the top together for Hanabi, Macnas series 10. Having the second flimsy of this year so quickly behind the first was an unexpected bonus.
(My focus was helped a lot because I had the sunshade pulled down on my studio window to keep me from looking outside very few minutes to repeatedly check on the weather)
Again, no beauty shots of the finished flimsy (photo taken before pressing).
Hanabi - a Japanese word for fireworks
As I stitched the rows for Hanabi's top, I used the segments for Rastro, one of the four Macnas series bonus quilts, as my leader-enders. By the time Hanabi's top was finished, so were all of the segments for Rastro.
Rastro is short for RASTROPHILIOPUSTROCITY is a noun meaning a spontaneous combustion of creative spark that is followed by action in order to manifest and bring into existence.
Instead of putting the segments (not yet pressed in the photo) back in the project box, I decided to play with a layout on the design wall. If life cooperates, I'll get this top sewn together before the end of the month.
(Six 6-rectangle segments per column x 13 columns, made with 2" x 4" finished rectangles leftover from previous Macnas quilts, yielding a top measuring roughly 52" x 72")
Quiltdivajulie
"When the creative pulse sweeps over you, grab it. You grab it and honor it and use it, because momentum is a rare gift."
Justina Chen
10 comments:
Yup--our snow drifts and amts look to be about the same as yours are, QD Julie--both our garage and front doors are banked with snow...our plow guy pled exhaustion last night and asked if he could come today instead!! Boy, we haven't seen a Winter like this in years...
Love the stuff you got done yesterday--I wish my sew-jo would return...I just cannot get back into the swing of things. I tried to sew some 1.2" strips into courthouse steps yesterday and did finish one block--but it felt like pulling teeth!! Aaargh!! This has to be "..the winter of my discontent" I guess...
Stay warm there and safe. hugs, Julierose
Goodness, your quote today is SO true! I hear you about the urge to keep looking out the window checking on the weather. I just couldn’t seem to settle as it snowed all day….13” in all. Rasto is a great shortened name and those leader/enders pile up fast, don’t they.
Wonderful use of both leaders and enders, and snowed-in sewing time!
RASTROPHILIOPUSTROCITY - I love it! Wherever did you find that word??? So appropriate for what we quilters do - a fancy way of saying "Chasing a squirrel."
Well done in using your snow days to make such great progress on these two quilts!
Love the quotation!
We had about 4" of snow Sunday and all has frozen solid due to frigid temperatures since and, baby it's COLD outside!
Hugs!
This extended period of frigid air is a double whammy for those of you who got the snow/ice/freezing rain. It's frigid here too, 13 dropping to 0 by early evening, but our streets are clear and my driveway is mostly clear. Uninterrupted sewing time is the bonus for us.
Great that you were able to make good use of the time given by the storm. We don't have ice, but lots of snow which is drifting in these single digit temps. I keep sewing with short bursts on the long arm to keep things moving. Beautiful quilts with tons of color and value!
The sparks have been flying, bursting into veritable fireworks, at your place~ despite the weather! Well done with each and every scrap; not a one has gone to waste. I love your creative energy!
Happy for you that you kept power, and that you don't HAVE to go anywhere. (All these reminders to "stay home," but what if the place where you work is a designated warming center and you have to be the person to staff it?) 15 degrees today which seems far, far warmer in comparison to the 8 degrees a couple of days ago.
Oh, and to comment on the rest of your post: your new projects and their names are wonderful!
Nice job of turning your snow days into SEW days, Julie! I love the ways you turn your leftovers into super scrappy quilt projects.
Post a Comment